ALL GPS owners , input needed

DonnieF

Donating Member
Registered
Ok guys , its time to put a GPS on the K8 .... Lets hear the pros and cons of the GPS's you own or are familiar with. Ive searched the sites and read the features , i would like something with bluetooth and a MP3 player. What are yalls experiences and what did you choose and why?

Thanks in Advance
Donnie

Garmin Zumo 550
thumb_up.gif

Bluetooth, MP3, XM radio, Nav, waterproof...all in one unit!

It comes with the motorcycle cradle AND the car cradle! When in the car cradle, it has speakers and the Mic is enabled, allowing for speakerphone. It works really well!

All that said, I don't have one yet, but that's the one I'd really like! (Father's Day is coming up.. Wifey: hint..hint..) Captain's got one and it's sweet! I've talked to him while on the bike and in the car and it's crystal-clear!

I've got an Autocom setup on the bike and it will connect via bluetooth and allow me to listen to MP3, XM and talk on the phone all while riding!

The Zumo 550 is a great GPS, but a lousy MP3 player. It plays back everything in Mono. I've had AM radios that sound better. It's very good at everything else. I plug my MP3 player directly into my ChatterBox. That way I can enjoy my music in stereo.

beerchug.gif

Garmin Zumo 550  
thumb_up.gif

Bluetooth, MP3, XM radio, Nav, waterproof...all in one unit!

It comes with the motorcycle cradle AND the car cradle!  When in the car cradle, it has speakers and the Mic is enabled, allowing for speakerphone.  It works really well!

All that said, I don't have one yet, but that's the one I'd really like! (Father's Day is coming up..  Wifey:  hint..hint..)   Captain's got one and it's sweet!   I've talked to him while on the bike and in the car and it's crystal-clear!

I've got an Autocom setup on the bike and it will connect via bluetooth and allow me to listen to MP3, XM and talk on the phone all while riding!
+1 Best out there!

Thanks for the replys guys , i really do appreciate your input.Its looks like the Zumo 550 wins hands down. Now part 2 of the question. Who makes a GOOD QUALITY bluetooth helmet headset? Does Bose make one?

If you're looking for a helmet headset, look at the Scala Q2. It's small and works really well.

I have and Autocom system on my bike and the Zumo will connect via Bluetooth.

Nice part of the Autocom, is that it's powered off the bike; no batteries to charge.

I looked at the scala Q2 but they dont make a 2 speaker set up that i could see , i also thought about a autocom unit but i dont want the wires. Heard anything about these?motorcycle comm

One good point to remember is Garmin is going to be more accurate in the US and Tomtom in Europe, this is due to the standards used for the mapping software.

One good point to remember is Garmin is going to be more accurate in the US and Tomtom in Europe, this is due to the standards used for the mapping software.
I've heard this, too. But, I know several folks who have and like their Tom-Tom units.

Garmin's HQ is about 15 mins from my house; I drive by it every day...

Garmin Zumo 550 - anything else is second place.
They could use a few changes to make it better, right now it is the leader for motorcycle use.

I've heard this, too.  But, I know several folks who have and like their Tom-Tom units.

Garmin's HQ is about 15 mins from my house; I drive by it every day...
I have a Garmin Nuvi 200 and have excellent results in the US but, on a recent trip to Ontario, CA, my Garmin was totally confused - and yes it does have the Canadian maps.  The search function would normally come up dry and it seemed to get lost occasionally and in some instances telling me to take turns off highways almost 2 miles before the actual turn.  
On the plus side - small, lightweight, and accurate (in the states
laugh.gif
).  Doesn't have near the abilities of the Zumo tho (no bluetooth/no mp3 - def not waterproof!).  But for price - on sale at Bestbuy - $179 as compared to the Zumo...I saw Ebay prices of $650? As a wish list item...it would be nice to set a destination "via" a chosen road.  If I set a destination to Dragon's Tail, my Garmin wants to run me up the interstate but I want to take Hhwy 28...the Garmin Nuvi doesn't give you that ability so you have to setup "waypoints" on the road you want then change your destinations as you get closer...

I use a garmin quest 2 small easy to use and waterproof...under 200 dollars on e-bay

Dan

Back