Airtech 6in over street tail... Looking for ideas

I would suggest putting the soft side of the Velcro underneath the race pan or you will have to touch up where it rubs. What did you end up doing for the spacer on the hump?

I would suggest putting the soft side of the Velcro underneath the race pan or you will have to touch up where it rubs. What did you end up doing for the spacer on the hump?

I'm going to use the 2001 seat bracket so I can take it on and off for the track, but I still was trying to think of what to use to support the back where it rests on the tail so thank you for the pointer.

I ended up riding it into work and had our sportbike tech see what he could come up with for spacers. I didn't get a picture of it, but he ended up finding really nice spacers to put under each side of the seat lock to use instead of stacking washers. We also shimmed the back of the hump and seat with 1 washer. We did have to heat up the plastic hooks on the seat and hump and bend them slightly down to get the clearance in the front. I ended up using that clear 3M protective stuff around the top of the tail to avoid scratching it

I had a chance to go to the track last night and it didn't start well...

First pass off the trailer, it went a 1.66 60ft...

Second pass - I haven't done anything with the under tail other than cut out a large section and ended up burning a hole through the shifter line on the launch :banghead:

Third pass - I blew the tire off and pretty much aborted the run. At this point I got I really frustrated and called a friend who helped me set-up the suspension.

Now my friend Jason finally showed up and we adjusted the clutch lever in and went over my body and arm position on the launch....Wow I was doing everything wrong :banghead:

Fourth pass - Left at 5K RPM and it felt good... 1.55 60ft, but I'm down MPH and come to the conclusion the clutch is on it's way out.

Fifth pass - Leave at 5.5K RPM and it goes a 1.50 60ft carrying the front tire. I need a clutch now :laugh:

The suspension was completely untested before this and was set-up in my garage Monday night, so I'm pretty happy with the results. My biggest downfall was launching it and I think I'm finally getting it

JJBUSA60FT.jpg

Good job Justin!!! How far back do you have the arm? Looks like a Evil? Maybe? What gearing did you decide on? I have been leaving around 6500 or even more a lot of the time. Problem is the the last set of clutches only lasted 2 nights. :banghead: Frictions were good, just cooked the steels. I'm running -1 and +3 on mine. It has been a 1.42 60' when I launch the crap out of it! Time for a new clutch setup very soon! :please: Bike looks great BTW too! :thumbsup:

Steveo - The arm is a Mcintosh Sport w/ underbrace 6-10in. It's sitting at 68in right now. I'm running 17-46 so -1 front +3 rear. I'd like to go up 1 more in the back. I believe my clutch is tired because the bike was going 146mph early this season and now it's only going 142-143mph. Atleast I'm hoping it's only my clutch because it has about 10-12k miles on it with a ton of weak track launches on it. I'd like to get a new clutch in it and try leaving a little harder next week.

I'm running the Shinko Stealth Ultra soft and geesh is that thing crazy heavy. Next year we're going to switch to a Power One

ahhhhh I see. Nice. I'm sitting about the same length, maybe 68.5. I thought about going up in the rear more too, but I don't want an aluminum sprocket and I "think" that is all I have seen for any bigger. I had the u soft on and I wasn't a huge fan actually. Had a hard time hooking. Of course that was pre-suspension change too. I have a hook up now and love it. Seems a little low on mph unless your a big guy. I trap 149-151 and about 120 in the 1/8th. Clutch might be going. :banghead:

I'm about 200-205 suited. Here's my previous fastest pass:

60ft - 1.699
1/8mph - 118.81mph
1/8et - 6.267
1/4mph - 145.66mph
1/4et - 9.613

The bike has gone 146.8mph before but my problem was always not getting WOT soon enough or at all in first. so I know there is a problem after looking at this from last night:

60ft - 1.507
1/8mph - 116.86
1/8et - 6.100
1/4mph - 143.19
1/4et - 9.492

We're going to throw it on our dyno tomorrow and see if we can find anything, but I'm pulling the clutch tonight to take a look at it

Hmm..definitely need more mph, I'm sure others will agree. I'm 210 with out gear! What did you do different from previous best to current best?

Hmm..definitely need more mph, I'm sure others will agree. I'm 210 with out gear! What did you do different from previous best to current best?

Went from 4.5in over extensions to 10in over swing arm and new fiberglass tail. This allowed me to also finally get to soften up the rear shock A LOT. I also went -1 on the front sprocket, not to mention I changed everything I was doing on my launch mostly. I'll know in a couple hours how bad my clutch looks.

So how bad is the clutch Justin?

I didn't get any pictures because it got late and I was tired, but the steels from the middle of the stack to the outside of the bike were all nearly black/purple. We're going to throw it on the dyno today and see what it does. I'm thinking we might retune 100% throttle depending on what we find.

I must say that I love how this thing turned out and how much more fun going to the track is. Here's a few pictures from Sunday at Stanton, MI

stanton3_zpsbe07de98.jpg

stanton1_zps0db1fda7.jpg

I just did this, and it was a major pain in the ass. I have the same tail. First, I carefully cut the hole out for the tail light and then carefully sanded until I had a perfect fit. While doing this, I decided it was too much of a pain to do the turn signals and just used an integrated tail light from Pashnit. I used the OEM brackets on the tail light and made custom mounts out of L brackets from Lowes. Here is a picture I took. I kept breaking the rear ones out no matter what epoxy I used. I ended up changing the custom style to match the ones toward the front and got some cat hair fiberglass repair from the auto parts store. I put it over the brackets to help hold them to the fiberglass, and have not had another problem.

THis forum will not accept JPGs if the extension is in caps darnit....

DSC03725.JPG

I want that plate bracket! Where can I get one?

It is a stock part that was on the original tail. You should also we able to order it right from Suzuki.

no, and you need to rough up the glass itself.. rough up glass, smear napa stuff on, put bracket down in it, let dry then go over top of bracket and lower mix to cause bond effect..

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/i...gfV-L2k-nuQHPk7lNHs5HVsIcTQ4xyM_YdkcriqkhTOyc

Hi Goldenchild,
I am getting ready to mount my tail light in the aerotech tail and found this old thread. I am unable to locate anything on Napa's website that looks like this product. Do you know what it is called now or another epoxy that works well?
Thanks

That plate bracket doesn't look like anything that was on the gen 1 or a gen 2. I just looked at both. It had to be from a different bike.

gen2_zpsvkyakpqf.png

gen1_zpsfuy6llww.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the factory Gen-2 brackets with some home-made brackets to be glued to the fiberglass tail and connect to the factory brackets.

Back