air filter question

ncstunna

Registered
anyone notice any difference when exchanged stock air filter with any aftermarket filter? im bein told that if the busas stock filter isnt dirty nor damaged that its a waste to purchase a afetrmarket one. also the power commander maps often say stock or aftermarket on majority of the maps u pull up and that makes me wonder if theres any or much of a difference in performance. any and all feedback welcome thanks.

IMO, I would leave it alone until it was time to replace the OE filter. Then I would invest the money in an aftermarket performance reusable filter.

IMO, I would leave it alone until it was time to replace the OE filter. Then I would invest the money in an aftermarket performance reusable filter.

I agree. I can't say I did or didn't notice any difference between the 2. The only reason I initially changed mine was it just seemed the right thing to do to go with the other little mods and the price was right. I got my K&N off ebay for $50. shipped. As for seat of the pants performance, no-one i've spoke can say "oh yeah, definitely", but I have heard rumors of a slight increase in MPG if thats what you've got an interest in.

when I replaced my stocker with a k/n I felt nothing but,when I threw in the bmc race I felt & heard a difference(nothing big)but there is a difference. Ive tried all 3 personally

Not my opinion because I don't have one, but listening to those that dyno different air filters and test them otherwise. If you beat the factory filter you're probably letting more dirt inside your baby.

The only other advantage would be savings found with one you wash and oil vs. buying the $50.00 a pop factory job.

I only notice a difference in sound in mine when I replaced the stock with a K&N. Not a big difference in performance in my opinion. I just did it because I have K&N in all of my vehicles and did not want my baby to go solo without one. Saves you money in the long run.???

The stock filter is better than the K+N...the BMC is better than the stocker :beerchug:

The stock filter is better than the K+N...the BMC is better than the stocker :beerchug:

x2

it's not about noticing the difference but the a/f will change with them and it shows.

K&N no better than stocker just reusable
BMC there is a noticable difference on dyno,a/f wise means hp..

we dyno'd my bike with all 3.......no noticeable difference at all. only marginally in the tenths of hp.
But a dyno doesn't show the diff in throttle response....just peak hp gained. And I've seen many charts that show 1 to 2 hp gains :laugh: Ryan Schnitz has a nice comparison on his website if you want to check it out :thumbsup:

But a dyno doesn't show the diff in throttle response....just peak hp gained. And I've seen many charts that show 1 to 2 hp gains :laugh: Ryan Schnitz has a nice comparison on his website if you want to check it out :thumbsup:

correct.....but the big difference is when your running a 5 gas bench analyzer and when you change from filter to filter, run the comparisons, and all the numbers are so close within parameters, theres no need for re-mapping on just a filter change. thus, theoretically, if there's no change in a/f mixture, throttle response won't change either....BUT, the main thing we have to remember is that there are no 2 bikes that will EVER be alike, ya know. and by the way, I do run the K&N:beerchug:

correct.....but the big difference is when your running a 5 gas bench analyzer and when you change from filter to filter, run the comparisons, and all the numbers are so close within parameters, theres no need for re-mapping on just a filter change. thus, theoretically, if there's no change in a/f mixture, throttle response won't change either....BUT, the main thing we have to remember is that there are no 2 bikes that will EVER be alike, ya know. and by the way, I do run the K&N:beerchug:
:laugh:

I have a BMC but I wouldnt worry about it till you need a new one. Unless your just anxious to get one:thumbsup:

I have a BMC but I wouldnt worry about it till you need a new one. Unless your just anxious to get one:thumbsup:

you know us speed freaks......gotta have the best for our toys or it just ain't right............doesn't matter if its bad or not, gotta have it cuz it's not "O.E.M." and it costs more:thumbsup::cheerleader:

Its not a busa but changing out the stock air filter on my wing to a K&N made a huge difference... Now it sounds like a strong running truck...LoL Also getting much better gas mileage out of the sofa...

I think the BMC Race is the only filter that I've heard that made a real small difference but atthe expence of poorer filtration.???

+10,000-y waste money on a mod that isnt needed yet? go shave all the stickers, then hack the rear air brake, then stand around n scratch yer head for a while if the ole lady asks say you're "in the midst of planning" and go back to wandering around garage with drink in hand, whilst staring at the bike:rofl:
then-when your a.filter gets dirty; go buy PAIR block-offs n a new BMC race filter:thumbsup:

Back