Air filter question

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys,
  The 05LE that I am leaving in a hour to get has muzzy cf bolt ons and a K&N air filter with a PCIIIusb.  I have read the posts about the K&N actually making less power.  I have the stocker, brand new.  The guy had the K&N installed before he ever picked up the bike.

Here is the question.  Would you re-install the stocker and sell the K&N or just keep it?

Don

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146866941 -->

Keep it. You'll never have to buy another filter!

Any horsepower you lose(if you do indeed lose any) will be minute with the mods you are talking about anyway.

If you want a filter that actually adds HP, get the BMC race,otherwise keep your stocker,its better than the K&N.:;):

Bare in mind,if you get the BMC,You will have to remap for the extra air,thats where the the extra HP comes from.

I will prolly not buy the BMC until I get full exhaust. The bike came with the K&N in it, but the seller gave me the brand new stocker. Right now the bike is running a little rough. I am going to load a couple of different maps to see if that smooths things out a little. My 04LE ran as smooth as a kitten with the PCIII and Yoshi bolt-ons, so I am thinking they may have the stock map in the thing.

Don

Bare in mind,if you get the BMC,You will have to remap for the extra air,thats where the the extra HP comes from.
+1......I got a K and N on my bike when I first got it and I put the stock one back in. I read somewhere that they are actually harmfull because they don't filter as well. The article said that K and Ns were pretty much for the track. If you are a daily commuter stick with stock. You don't see any power gains from the K and N anyways so why let some extra dirt in? Just my .02 but my stock one is back in. I noticed NO difference in power at all putting it back in either.

Do the pair mod.
NJ,
 I may to do the "Marble Mod" for now.  I just can't see pulling the damn thing apart to remove the pair with the stock exhaust system when she will be getting HMF CF High Mounts anyway.

Don

PS. Thanks for the tip
If I were you I would consider the PAIR mod. I did the marble mod and yes it works however there is a tuner that used to post on here named JohnnyCheese and this guy KNOWS his shid. He advised me that sticking the marble in the PAIR line would actually cause moisture to build up inside the line and it would corrode and overtime coudl case damage. A PAIR block off kit is only like 39.95$ for a NICE one and if anything you are shaving a little weight off the bike when you do it. It is not hard to do at all man trust me. If I were you i would strongly consider it. When I did my full exhaust this winter I took it off and was very surprised how easy it was.

Do the pair mod.
NJ,
 I may to do the "Marble Mod" for now.  I just can't see pulling the damn thing apart to remove the pair with the stock exhaust system when she will be getting HMF CF High Mounts anyway.

Don

PS. Thanks for the tip
If I were you I would consider the PAIR mod. I did the marble mod and yes it works however there is a tuner that used to post on here named JohnnyCheese and this guy KNOWS his shid. He advised me that sticking the marble in the PAIR line would actually cause moisture to build up inside the line and it would corrode and overtime coudl case damage. A PAIR block off kit is only like 39.95$ for a NICE one and if anything you are shaving a little weight off the bike when you do it. It is not hard to do at all man trust me. If I were you i would strongly consider it. When I did my full exhaust this winter I took it off and was very surprised how easy it was.
Busa_Boy,
I agree 100%. When I buy and install the HMF exhaust the PAIR is coming off. I just can't see taking the bike apart just to remove the PAIR system.

Don

Do the pair mod.
NJ,

Don

PS. Thanks for the tip
Busa_Boy,
   I agree 100%.  When I buy and install the HMF exhaust the PAIR is coming off.  I just can't see taking the bike apart just to remove the PAIR system.

Don
Well if you are doing the other system fairly soon you'll be okay. I just wasn't sure how long in the future you were planning it. Just be sure you know WHICH tube the marble goes in. The crank case breather line looks JUST like the PAIR valve and is in the same spot. You stick the marble in there and you are in for a WORLD of hurt. The line it goes in will be on the right hand side of the airbox if you haven't seen a pic yet.

Do the pair mod.
NJ,

Don

PS. Thanks for the tip
Busa_Boy,
   I agree 100%.  When I buy and install the HMF exhaust the PAIR is coming off.  I just can't see taking the bike apart just to remove the PAIR system.

Don
Well if you are doing the other system fairly soon you'll be okay. I just wasn't sure how long in the future you were planning it. Just be sure you know WHICH tube the marble goes in. The crank case breather line looks JUST like the PAIR valve and is in the same spot. You stick the marble in there and you are in for a WORLD of hurt. The line it goes in will be on the right hand side of the airbox if you haven't seen a pic yet.
I know that JC is one of the tech gods on these bikes. In light of what you have just told me, I will probably not put a marble in it and just wait until I do the full system.

Thanks

Don

The PAIR mod is to remove the emissions stuff from the engine. It causes back fires and (potentially) flaming exhauts.

The EZ way to do it to test is the "Marble Method"

unless you are a bad a** dragger and are consistant to within hundredths every time then you're not going to notice any power loss from the k&n. its miniscule. and the reason is because it flows less than the stock which means it traps more dirt and crap so then its better for your engine. the stock flows more air so its better for the drag strip and not your engine. keep the k&n for the simple fact that it traps more debris and you save by never buying another one.

Back