Air filter Question

No, ECU is not flashed. There is only one place I know where they ECU flash it and it is 1000km away from me. I don't think I will have ECU flash any time soon. People around me speak about having air filter will be worth it borh performance wise and economically. I already spent 200$ (taxes+delivery...) on a sprint filter P08 and I will not use it since today after my late research. So what should I do? Keep stock with Akrapovic? Will I still get the HP gains from Akrapovic?
The performance difference between a stock filter and an aftermarket filter is minimal and honestly if you switched them back to back, you wouldn't even notice which is which..

The biggest difference between the filter you bought and a stock filter is engine protection...if you are riding everyday on the street where there's dust and such, I'd stick to protection..

Your AFR might be slightly wonky but only a dyno could tell...

No, ECU is not flashed. There is only one place I know where they ECU flash it and it is 1000km away from me. I don't think I will have ECU flash any time soon. People around me speak about having air filter will be worth it borh performance wise and economically. I already spent 200$ (taxes+delivery...) on a sprint filter P08 and I will not use it since today after my late research. So what should I do? Keep stock with Akrapovic? Will I still get the HP gains from Akrapovic?
I just noticed the cost you spent on the other filter....

Too bad you didn't find us here before spending that....we could have given you the advice we did....

I research things to death.

The performance difference between a stock filter and an aftermarket filter is minimal and honestly if you switched them back to back, you wouldn't even notice which is which..

The biggest difference between the filter you bought and a stock filter is engine protection...if you are riding everyday on the street where there's dust and such, I'd stick to protection..

Does AFR stand for Air fuel ratio? Could you explain it more for a newbie.

With Akrapovic and stock filter installed, how much my fuel consumption will increase do you think?

Does AFR stand for Air fuel ratio? Could you explain it more for a newbie.
It does indeed....

It's the amount of fuel that mixes with air...in the old days we called this "lean or rich" and was done by doing a plug chop...now it's done on a dyno through ECU mapping....

12.8-13.2 ratios are best for our bikes but the important thing about AFR is it's consistency which is found on a dyno...a flat AFR is always better than one that dips either too lean or too rich.

The engine is a big pump, air is pushed in, mixed with metered fuel (injectors) and rammed down the gullet of the cylinders through the valves, this is ignited and becomes kinetic energy, heat and exhaust....

Too much fuel (rich) cools the ignition and that's where you see the black soot out the exhaust or plugs from incomplete or cool burn,
Too much air causes a lean condition which causes more heat and can do damage to the engine by melting pistons...which is the extreme, spark plugs are almost white in this condition.

In the old days, our 2 strokes were better to run a little rich and change out fouled spark plugs then run too lean and burn the piston...

It does indeed....

It's the amount of fuel that mixes with air...in the old days we called this "lean or rich" and was done by doing a plug chop...now it's done on a dyno through ECU mapping....

12.8-13.2 ratios are best for our bikes but the important thing about AFR is it's consistency which is found on a dyno...a flat AFT is always better than one that dips either too lean or too rich.

The engine is a big pump, air is pushed in, mixed with metered fuel (injectors) and rammed down the gullet of the cylinders through the valves, this is ignited and becomes kinetic energy, heat and exhaust....

Too much fuel (rich) cools the ignition and that's where you see the black soot out the exhaust or plugs from incomplete or cool burn,
Too much air causes a lean condition which causes more heat and can do damage to the engine by melting pistons...which is the extreme, spark plugs are almost white in this condition.

In the old days, our 2 strokes were better to run a little rich and change out fouled spark plugs then run too lean and burn the piston...
In conclusion, am I putting the bike in danger sir? :) Or will it work not smooth as usual? What do you recommend?
Thank you for all the valuable information beforehand

In conclusion, am I putting the bike in danger sir? :) Or will it work not smooth as usual? What do you recommend?
Thank you for all the valuable information beforehand
If I owned that bike and were using it in the manner in which you plan to,

I'd be using the stock filter and then maybe look into a better protecting aftermarket one down the road...perhaps sell off the other one..

Engine protection would be my personal goal.

You would most likely never even notice the effects of the aftermarket filter you have now as far as performance or fuel economy but if there is a lot of dusty conditions you will get more into your engine and although you can do more frequent oil changes, they can get costly to do.

If I owned that bike and were using it in the manner in which you plan to,

I'd be using the stock filter and then maybe look into a better protecting aftermarket one down the road...perhaps sell off the other one..

Engine protection would be my personal goal.

You would most likely never even notice the effects of the aftermarket filter you have now as far as performance or fuel economy but if there is a lot of dusty conditions you will get more into your engine and although you can do more frequent oil changes, they can get costly to do.
Thanks for the info. Which aftermarket product do you recommend? What will that offer me other than stock air filter?

Thanks for the info. Which aftermarket product do you recommend? What will that offer me other than stock air filter?
To be honest, around here an air filter thread is like all the other thread where there will be 10 replies with 10 different opinions..

I don't think there is a K&N for the gen 3 yet but I've run those filters for many with zero issues..

@sixpack577 mentioned a couple filters he recommended..

Back