Ah, it'll never happen to me. But it did... (GRAPHIC CONTENT WARNING)

1300RK6

Registered
Two Saturdays ago, 5/9/15 at about 6:30PM EST, I wrecked my Hayabusa. Hard. I had been riding all day long through mountains and back roads. Whatever happened, it happened so fast I wasn't even able to hit my brakes. Off the road and into a field I went. At full speed. I returned to the crash site exactly one week after the fact (at roughly 6:15PM EST). The curve I never made is tiny and could be easily handled at twice the posted speed limit. I rode much harder roads with sharper turns that day. I wish I could remember what happened.

My last memory of that day is being at a gas station 24.1 miles/31 minutes away from the crash scene. And that's Google Maps using the most efficient route, which would contradict my whole reason for riding that day. So no telling how much I don't remember.

Anyway, I was told I held onto the bike until the end. From point of off road entry to final resting place, it was 237 feet. I immediately lost consciousness. I broke my right wrist in three places, had a concussion, a badly bruised head (including a forehead helmet imprint) and a very deep gash in my left leg. As you'll be able to see from the pictures below, the only part of my bike left unscathed is my seat.

My Speed and Strength helmet, jacket, gloves and boots did their jobs admirably but are useless now. My jacket, shirt and jeans were cut off by the paramedics at the scene, my gloves shredded, as well as my wallet and all of it's content (it literally looks like my license and cards were partially ran through a shredder). Even my underwear were not spared.

Before
17186776879_a6a5e5b2fe.jpgUntitled by Zachary Hisel, on Flickr

After
16903535743_4bd41448ee_o.jpgUntitled by Zachary Hisel, on Flickr
16903536343_6cf4a29cf1_n.jpgUntitled by Zachary Hisel, on Flickr
17521653282_5c8841f617_n.jpgUntitled by Zachary Hisel, on Flickr
17521654042_f0ab3fef7b_n.jpgUntitled by Zachary Hisel, on Flickr
16903540133_e7b46c3563_n.jpgUntitled by Zachary Hisel, on Flickr
17523880815_27bf4fd2ce_n.jpgUntitled by Zachary Hisel, on Flickr
17632633450_2345e27fe5_z.jpgUntitled by Zachary Hisel, on Flickr

Holy cow :( So glad you're here to talk about it, but you don't have any idea what might have gone wrong? That's so scary...

I'm sorry about the Busa, but bikes can be replaced, you cannot. Hope you're healing up!!

Thanks for sharing , although I am truely sorry for your troubles.

Great reminder that chit happens when you least expect it , and to always wear, All Your Gear , All The Time.

Keep your Spidey senses on high alert at all times thru this riding season people. :please:

Damn mate, that blows...sorry to hear this occurred but glad that you walked away....heal up fast and be thankful the gear gods were there for you...some are not as lucky...

Sorry to hear about your wreck. Heal fast. As others have said, it just goes to show how important it is to gear up.

Ouch! Graphic content is right...I can barely stand the sight of a Busa in that condition.

Glad you're OK and here to write about it!

That's nasty. Wearing all the right gear certainly helped and glad you are able to talk about it. Hope you heal quickly and get the bike fixed up.

Glad it didn't take you out. :please:

How do we get all the young guns to look at this. I still see people riding with shorts, tank tops and no helmet. I can't believe the outcome would have been the same with no (little) gear.

The title is perfect, as that is the outlook many riders have. I read something a while ago that said motorcycling was 33 times more dangerous the in a Vehicle. We all know the risk is there and
how we ride and prepare for a ride is one of the few ways we can lower the risk.

Thats the scary part about crashing and losing memory. You can't learn anything from the mishap to prevent it from happening again.

That has to be one of the most crushed in tanks I have ever seen...

Back