After 20 years I fell off today

Adam Philip

Registered
Well it finally happened, after 20 years of daily commutes amongst idiot drivers I finally hit the ground today. A woman in a van hit the brakes so hard in front of me I had no where to go but up the back of her, no damage to myself luckily but the Busa didn't fair so well.

Generally all cosmetic damage but the bill is starting to mount. I'm having trouble finding a headlight unit as I have snapped the lugs off and here in Oz they want $750 from the dealer, also the upper fairing is damaged beyond repair and they want over $500 for that as well. I have seen cheap Chinese units on Ebay but I'm reluctant to buy one without anyone's opinion.

So if anyone has an upper fairing and a headlight unit for sale I would love to hear from you. Also has anyone had any experience with cheap Chinese fairing parts off Ebay?

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3377.jpg

Adam,
I am meeting a guy tomorrow who has BUSA STUFF lying around his house. I will see if he has parts that you need (keep your fingers crossed)

Yup, Glad your ok, the bike can be fixed, better bodywork than road rash and broken bones, hope you find what you need, all for a good deal, so you can get back on the road as soon as possible

Glad you're okay. hit up ebay and Justin from Honda East, he will save you major cash on brand new OEM fairings.

Okay, I will ask what everyone else here with as much experience as you is thinking. You said: "after 20 years of daily commutes amongst idiot drivers I finally hit the ground today. A woman in a van hit the brakes so hard in front of me I had no where to go but up the back of her."

Don't get me wrong, I am really pleased you walked away unhurt, but the implication here is not that you were leaving too little space between you and her, but that she stopped too quickly for you to avoid hitting her.

You hit her from behind mate. On a motorcycle! When you make a mistake, it's best to learn from it and try not to do the same thing again. Blaming her is not going to allow you to do that. The fault is yours. All yours. You do know that right?

Okay, I will ask what everyone else here with as much experience as you is thinking. You said: "after 20 years of daily commutes amongst idiot drivers I finally hit the ground today. A woman in a van hit the brakes so hard in front of me I had no where to go but up the back of her."

Don't get me wrong, I am really pleased you walked away unhurt, but the implication here is not that you were leaving too little space between you and her, but that she stopped too quickly for you to avoid hitting her.

You hit her from behind mate. On a motorcycle! When you make a mistake, it's best to learn from it and try not to do the same thing again. Blaming her is not going to allow you to do that. The fault is yours. All yours. You do know that right?

Easy big fella. I'm sure he can do without the lecture. :poke:

Glad to hear you aren't injured pal. Crap happens.

Easy big fella. I'm sure he can do without the lecture. :poke:

Glad to hear you aren't injured pal. Crap happens.

I agree of course, it DOES happen. I don't mean to lecture, honestly, but the important thing here (other than he walked away unharmed) is that he and other riders don't make the same mistake again. The only way you can rear end someone is riding too close, period!

I agree of course, it DOES happen. I don't mean to lecture, honestly, but the important thing here (other than he walked away unharmed) is that he and other riders don't make the same mistake again. The only way you can rear end someone is riding too close, period!

You can also rear end someone by riding too far in too hot of weather and taking too short of a break. Then when you get back on the road your following distance is fine but you mentally slip from exhaustion, your safe gap evaporates and you run right into the back of a red van. Had nothing to do with being too close. I know someone who did that :whistle:

To the op, sorry you went down and I hope you get it straight soon and back on the road. They dont call them accidents because they happen on purpose.
As long as we can learn from our mistakes and walk away it's ok the bike can be fixed..

Let's be honest here...........We all have had an Oh **** moment.:whistle:

Gladd you are ok man. Fix it and Forget about it :rulez:

I'm uber happy that you came out of it unscathed! Your 'girl' will be back to her beautiful self in no time! :thumbsup:

sorry to hear about your accident.

I had a massive crash last year and had to replace all of my fairings (and most of the bike too). After ending up with a dud set of chinese fairings I decided to go with second hand genuine parts. I used this site Car Spare Parts, Auto Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Truck Parts, 4x4 Parts - Australia's #1 spare parts locator | Find, buy & sell new & used parts online .

Within 3 days a wrecker in WA contacted me with all the parts I required. A full set of fairings with minimal damage (a few scratches and scuffs) cost me $900 (including postage to the other side of the country)and then I went and got them painted.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys, the links are great and the Aussie web site link for parts will hopefully help.

You're right, I don't need a lecture, I posted to ask for some help on parts sourcing, and after riding in peak hour traffic for 2 hours a day for the last 20 years in rain hail and shine, I think one off is pretty good going. Yes I realize it was my fault, mistakes happen and I'm thankful to walk away without a scratch. To everyone who offered help and support, thankyou.

To the other guy, seriously, don't lecture guys who probably have more experience on the road than yourself and are only asking for advice from fellow riders. People should be able to feel as if they can ask questions on these forums without being judged on their riding skills.

Back