Advice on a chock please?

chain

Registered
I know there's a huge disparity in price, but what I'm after is something I can put in the front end of my pickup truck's bed, drive the 'busa into, then use tie-downs to sort of pull the bike forward into the chock. Because of the wide bodywork on the Hayabusa, it doesn't look like even a Canon Dancer is going to work for me.

-or-

Tie-down advice on either of these ideas or something else that I'm not thinking about would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

opdsgt

When I get me another truck I'm definitely gonna get a Sport Chock for it. Lots of folks on this site and others who have 'em speak highly of 'em.

Also, maybe someone will post the canyon dancer strap trick here for ya. It's been a while and I don't remember exactly how it's done, but lots of folks use canyon dancer straps with their busa as well. I have a canyon dancer strap but I've never hauled my busa so I ain't much help.
wink.gif

I have used a canyon dancer while towing my 'Busa and it works pretty well. Hard to get the ends far enough out to not rub on the fairings, so I always wrap the straps in a cotton white towel. Like BT, I have heard lots of good things said about the sportchock but have not used one. Here is a pic of Baby J strapped down with the Canyon Dancer. Don't know if I have any better pics than this.

post_6_54683_DSC00515.jpg

I have a Sport Chock and love it. Drive the bike on and the front end is held solid. I have not used it yet for trailering, but it works great in the garage. After I drive it on the chock I lift the rear with a stand to ensure it's not going anywhere.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think either would work well for puposes of putting the bike into the back of my truck. I've got two Ohio Steel brand aluminum loading ramps that are made for riding lawn tractors. I had them sprayed with Rhino Lining and they work well.

Once I put the bike into either the PB or the SC, I'm guessing I'll be able to use straps to pull the bike forward from some mounting point other than the bars. BigBS, that towel trick is exactly what I'm trying to avoid, though it sounds like you've been able to pull it off w/o marring the paint on your bike.

I wonder if a guy could get around the frame with soft straps near the tank/seat area and attach forward from there with the front wheel secure in a chock...

I have the LA chock and sport chock from the bexley company. Cant beat it. Ride right into it and get off. Lock her down with no help needed.

ICE

You can't really tell but I also have a set of tie-down sliders that I use. They worked great and for future moves I won't even have to use the Canyon Dancer strap. They fit just like frame sliders, but have a mount for a strap on them. Worked really well with a secure fit.

You can't really tell but I also have a set of tie-down sliders that I use. They worked great and for future moves I won't even have to use the Canyon Dancer strap. They fit just like frame sliders, but have a mount for a strap on them. Worked really well with a secure fit.

I use the sport choc in my garage and never strap it down. We also use em on the track in the pit area to make it quick when by our selves too.

I have a flat bed utility trailer I strap the bike down on. I use cannyon dancers and two pieces of PVC tubing. SOmeone posted about the PVC. Take a piece of pvc tubing about an 1½" longer than your grips and slide it over your grip. Put the cannyon dancer over the PVC to move the tie downs out further.

I cut off my muffler mounts on the rear foot pegs so I take a strap extender. (piece of nylon with a loop at each end). I wrap it around the swingarm/axel and hook a quick release strap to it. I then hook the other end of the stap to the edge of the trailor. I also have a box trailer that has floor u-bolts to strap too. Same way.

In a pickup it's easy. Sport choc up front. Cannyon dancer and pvc. In the floor of the pick up you can remove one of the bolts and replace it with an EYElet bolt to have something to mount too. Most pickups have those square holes along the top of the bed side walls, like four on each side. They made a rubber mount that fits inside those holes and as you tighten the eyelet bolt down. Then strap to those. MOst trailer supply places sell them. There is a saftey latch on the sport choc to keep it from flipping back.

TESTIMONIAL: while returning home I always look in the mirrors and check my straps on the flat bed trailer. One night it was late and I was tired. I hadnt noticed that the knots I put at the end of the latches on the straps had slid. The straps had loosened and were no longer putting ANY tension on the bike. They litterly were lying on the deck of the trailer and dragging behind. The sport choc held the bike all the way home. 64 miles from the last time I check the straps. I nearly fainted.

ICE

I bought two Sport chocks from Baxleys and love them. I trailered my Busa from GA to CA and back again with only two tie downs set up like in Longbows pic. and it worked great. I didn't have the straps out quit as far as his and it still worked great. Just make sure that you clear the pipes.

Thanks to the photo Longbow has posted, I've decided the Sport Chock is the way to fly. Talk about easy and secure! True one man loading of the Busa.

Should have mine late next week... $225 shipped and well worth it IMHO.

Back