Anybody using the harbor freight wheel chock in a truck bed?

blusmbl

Registered
I bought one with a half off coupon, looks pretty nice for the money. I'm hauling my bike in the back of my truck from Detroit to Pittsburgh next weekend (then riding to NYC and back...), was going to use the chock. However, I don't want to bolt it in the bed, my truck is too nice and I use the bed for many things besides motorcycle hauling. Those of you that have hauled with it, is it okay to leave in without being bolted to anything?

If not, I'm probably going to attach it to a 2x8 that's cut to fit the bed width of my truck. Don't know if it's neccessary though.

Other problem, I have Helibars so I'm going to have to find an appropriate spot to tie the bike to. I'm hoping I can go up through the fairing or something. I guess the canyon dancer is really nice but again isn't helibar compatible.

Any advice would be great. :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Why is the canyon dancer not compatible with your helibars?

You can use the nylon tie straps that have loops on both ends, about a foot long and loop them around the clipons.

I have one of those cheap azz harbor freight chocks. I wish I would have spent the extra $$ on a baxley.

You can use your HF chock without bolting it down. However, if you don't have a bed linner I'd put something under it so you don't scuff the paint. Once the bike is tied down the only thing the chock does is keep the front wheel straight.

The Helibars came with a big warning as to not tie down the bike with them. Like you said, I can probably just go to the triple clamp/clipon area and be fine.

My truck does have a bedliner, so I'm okay there. :D

Those Baxley chocks look nice, but for how infrequently I haul the bike I couldn't justify the extra money.

I have HF chock, and I attached it to a utility trailer.

When it's not attached to anything, I had a hard time putting the bike in it because the thing would slide out. Other than that, the chock works fine.

I saw someone post up a pic of their chock mounted on a piece of plywood. Looked like it worked out nice. Just take the plywood out when the chock is not needed. The Baxley can go in the bed without bolting down no problem.

NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE ONES I USE BUT I'M CHEAP LIKE THAT. IIVE ALWAYS HAD TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE PERSON TO GET THE BIKE OUT OF IT'S DEATH GRIP. MAYBE I'M JUST TOO WEAK ?????:laugh: FOR THE PRICE YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM.

NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE ONES I USE BUT I'M CHEAP LIKE THAT. IIVE ALWAYS HAD TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE PERSON TO GET THE BIKE OUT OF IT'S DEATH GRIP. MAYBE I'M JUST TOO WEAK ?????:laugh: FOR THE PRICE YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM.

I know everything in Texas is huge except for weiners but BIG BOLD PRINT? :rulez:

I saw someone post up a pic of their chock mounted on a piece of plywood. Looked like it worked out nice. Just take the plywood out when the chock is not needed. The Baxley can go in the bed without bolting down no problem.

+1 My thoughts too.

The plywood method works well. I use it in my garage. It serves two purposes one to mount the chock to and the other is I park the bike on it so the tires aren't on the concrete.
I've used in in the bed of my truck as well with great results..

have used it many times with plywood in back of truck---extra great when traveling alone---chock and a good ramp only needs one person---

Plywood sounds like the hot ticket. Any suggestions on mounting? U-bolts? Existing eye bolts through where the rubber feet are located?

Plywood sounds like the hot ticket. Any suggestions on mounting? U-bolts? Existing eye bolts through where the rubber feet are located?

That's my plan. I'm going to build a frame that fits my truck out of 2x4s and then attached a 1" piece of plywood to the frame. I will then attach the chock to the plywood using the existing holes and eye bolts. Plus I'll add some more eye bolts to the frame so I have additional tie down points. When all is said and done I hope to be able to secure the frame and plywood to the truck and then secure the bike to the frame and plywood. :beerchug:

I actually just did this, I just set the wheel chock, the big black one from HF, in the bed of my truck and did not bolt it down. I tied the bike off to the sides of the bed and had no troubles at all!!!

Back