Advice about freeway riding?

busa commuter, I concur and also agree with most of y'all
RSD, you crack me up, I like your comments.
I've been riding for about 12 years and I still don't use the freeway too much.
I still haven't hit 5th or 6th gear on my bike, but have redlined my bike in every other gear except 4th.
should I worry bout carbon build up?
blush.gif

and for the record,
yeh when I do jump on the hwy, I usually stay in the 2 left lanes. as soon as someone gets too close, I zoom out of his view.

as for the cops, never worry bout that. just worry bout being safe.

peace

alot of good advice
didnt get to read it all
but what i do is about 10 over and always passing people never shadow any one keep movin

I prefer to go 145MPH on the freeway (495) and about 125MPH on 270.

Now, if it is rush-hour, I might take that down to 120MPH for both.

Don't forget that at these speeds, you will be splitting lanes alot and scaring some folks. So, for safeties sake, watch the cagers eyes in their mirros and make sure they DON'T see you until you are past (normally takes a tenth of a second at these speeds).

If you think there is a speed trap nearby, roll-up to about 165MPH... This way, the police normally won't even budge. After you pass the trap, take the second or third exit, never the first. And, make left turns, never right ones. You might not want to get back on the freeway for a bit, so find a place to grab a coffee and piece of pie.

Finally, if you are not comfortable going over the speed limit on the freeway, I hafta agree with Rocket1's post about staying off freeway until you are comfortable. Get comfortable and then slowly pick-up the pace. You won't go 145MPH on your first time out in heavy traffic. But, it creeps up on ya faster than you think.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is this: If my post scared you (or even worried you) sell your hayabusa and get a cruiser (not a Vespa like some Canadian's would have you do).

P.s. Don't turn your back... On the Ripper!

I would not worry about cops too much. It is the assho#@s that you allow to get near that will cause the trouble. Do yourself a favor. Keep yourself safe first and worry about a ticket later. The only way I've kept myself feeling safe on the freeway is to always be on the offensive. With the Busa that means faster, in my humble opinion. If someone is bothersome, punch thier lights out with a little throttle and make them distant memory.

Good luck....

If you afraid on the highways, stay off them. If you nervous while on the highway, you wont be able to focus on your surroundings. Going faster than the traffic around you will help you be able to focus since you dont have to watch your mirrors so much.

At first I thought you were joking but your post seemed serious enough. Was that a one time moment or normal commuting?? I GOTTA move where you are! I admire your abilites but question your speeds. If I EVER tried something like that in MY town, my license would be gone and I'd be in prison faster than you can say "Multi cop shoot out at I-80 and 35"! Do you REALLY get away with your posted numbers more than twice a year??

At first I thought you were joking but your post seemed serious enough.  Was that a one time moment or normal commuting??  I GOTTA move where you are!  I admire your abilites but question your speeds.  If I EVER tried something like that in MY town, my license would be gone and I'd be in prison faster than you can say "Multi cop shoot out at I-80 and 35"!  Do you REALLY get away with your posted numbers more than twice a year??
He is SO full of dookie. The traffic and the pavement sucks too much on those interstates. I'll believe it when I see it, and I'll visit him in the lockup and everything.

Im worried about cops.
Thanks for the advice guys
One should always face their fears..

If you are afraid of death.. work with the dead.

If you are afraid of sharks.. go scuba diving...

If you are afraid of "the cops" become one.. or at least break the sound barrier, get pulled over once to get it out of ur system and move on...

Ok.. just kidding..

Cops are people.. doing a job... most of the cops out there are GOOD people and if you don't give them a bunch of crap they will be cool.

My attitude, if I speed, i deserve a ticket, if I don't get one.. cool

If you are afraid of getting "busted" by the cops, don't do anything wrong...

however if you are going to drive the speed limit, more power to you, but move over and let me by... I never dog on anyone for driving the speed limit, UNLESS they are driving the speed limit and there are 30 cars bumper to bumper right behind them..

In California I think it is a law that if you are driving at a speed where you are blocking traffic or being an obstruction of any kind, you are required to pull over and let the vehicles by.

Example: you are driving on a single lane twisty in your car and you have 15 cars piled up behind, a cop can and sometimes will pull your arse over.

Anyway, just my two cents

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1078713271 -->

At first I thought you were joking but your post seemed serious enough.  Was that a one time moment or normal commuting??  I GOTTA move where you are!  I admire your abilites but question your speeds.  If I EVER tried something like that in MY town, my license would be gone and I'd be in prison faster than you can say "Multi cop shoot out at I-80 and 35"!  Do you REALLY get away with your posted numbers more than twice a year??
He is SO full of dookie. The traffic and the pavement sucks too much on those interstates. I'll believe it when I see it, and I'll visit him in the lockup and everything.
Bro,
I'm gonna have to call you out on this one. I have been there all too many times as the "ripper" is in fact rippin' it up..and BTW barely able to keep up with me!!

145 is just gettin' warmed up! Why else would you buy the 'bus in the first place!?

We were just up on Rt.140 last weekend and had 'em pegged at 185+

Why don't you come out next time..you could at least hold the camera.

Send one of us a PM with your e-mail.

Just givin' you a hard time, bro. I hope you come out an play.
-B

I bought a busa as the best thing on the planet I could find.  Not to speed thru traffic at 3 times the speed limit.  Again, is this a daily thing or a random act?  I WOULD be thrown in prison here in Iowa.  I'd LOVE to get away with that, but I am one of those cop magnet guys for no reason.... I could pick my nose once and get a ticket for failure to control the vehicle.   Not that I really pick my nose.... just a fictional example.... oh nevermind

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: "splelling"|1078754706 -->

Funny how many of us think the same way here. I too agree that you should always ride agressive defensive or you will die. If you do not know what that means, it means ride aggressively to protect yourself and your position in traffic. And folks that usually means driving 5-10MPH above the flow (or more) and being very aware of what is in you blind spot and mirrors at all times.

I feel much safer going 90+ in traffic than I do going 65 and being pushed and forced all over the road by larger much more dangerous vehicles. And if you do it judaciously and not flagrantly you will not likely get a ticket (knock on wood - uh huh). Keep your eyes open and use you signals and scan ahead far enough not to get boxed in. If you can't handle the heat, stay off of the interstate.

Hehe... Let me write you a list of things that I have gotten pulled over for, and gotten away with (with NO TICKET):
On my SV650:
Going 20mph over the limit and swerving thru traffic. (speed limit was 50mph)
- got pulled over by Florida Highway Patrol on the way to Key West - I was nice to the Officer, and got away with a warning. (He told me to stay on the left lane if I was going to speed
tounge.gif
... but then again... the people on the left lane were going slow...)
Speeding
-A city cop started shouting at me thru the megaphone or whatever the hell that's called... I wasn't really going that fast anyways.. just like 5-10 mph over the limit... It was raining lightly too, so I'm guessing she didn't pull me over for a) my good looks:;): and b) didn't want to get her fat ass wet...)
Reckless Driving
- In my car, on the highway (I-95), I was doing 95 mph during rush hour... My drivers license had expired a month before this, and I still hadn't renewed it... I got pulled over by an UNDERCOVER FORD TAURUS.... AHHH!!!.... anyways.. I was nice to the officer, and listened to his safety speech... He ended up just telling me to be careful... that being a few minutes late isn't worth getting into an accident... Good advice
Speeding
- Again... I was going about 10-15 mph over the limit... Got pulled over by one of those Sheriff cars... I was nice and respectful, and he just told me to be careful and slow down.

Btw, I don't brag much, but I am really good at driving cars and riding bikes... Up till now, I haven't gotten into any accidents, caused any accidents, or gotten any points on my license... :knock on wood: ...
Moral of the story - Cops aren't as bad as they're put out to be... They're just people that appreciate respect... If you are speeding a little in order to be safe (refering to bikes), then they will understand.

-ride safe

The thing about riding on the freeway is it is safer than riding in town.
1. all the cars are going the same way
2. you dont have to worry about some moron pulling out of a side street or turning left in front of you.
3. no cross traffic

Try to stay in the far right lane and go a little faster that traffic. I agree with busaman most cops if you are respectful they will give you a break unless you are caught doing something beyond just going a few miles faster than traffic.

Watch out for idiots on cell phones. If you are in the far right lane you only have to worry about the cars on one side comming over. Also watch your back don't let them tailgate.

Ride safe and aggressive not passive you will be better in the long run. just my .02 cents

Back