"Accept me for who I am"

Zero

Registered
I was thinking about this stamement today and I wrote this up tonight. Not sure if it makes sense or not, let you know what you think of it, good or bad!

----Wall of text starts now---------

What does that mean? Lots of people throw the term around when something goes wrong in their life that is personal. Maybe they’ll say it when someone confronts them about a matter that reflects themselves. Maybe, they just want to get cocky to the person that’s bashing them.

Whatever it is, here’s my take on the quote, “Accept me for who I amâ€.

It can mean two things. Your either very confident with yourself and personality that you don’t think you should change, or you closed your mind off to change and growing as a person. I prefer to think the latter.

If I told you that none of your friends ever talked behind your back, would you believe me? Probably not. Fact is everyone, your friends, family, even your pet lizard (if you have one), does not like something about you. The list could be huge or small; It could grow or shrink. If it was huge, that friend that you think is your friend, probably isn’t your friend, or shouldn’t be your friend. If it were small, your friend probably changed their own way to accommodate that quirk, just like you did with theirs. And if it wasn’t something that could be ignored, like teasing you, they probably let you in on the secret and you changed yourself to make that list even smaller.

Do you ever tell your friend about their little quirk that annoys you? Most friend don’t tell you about the little annoyances that you have. They adapt to it and change their own self to accommodate you, what are friends for? And, that is great!

However, lets think of the statement above, “Accept me for who I amâ€. If I said that statement, would I be changing myself to accommodate my friend? Because after all, changing myself goes against accepting myself for who I am. With that said, if I didn’t accommodate my friend I would tell them their quirk (or make body language to make it easier) that bothers me in hopes they stop so we can live in peace. What if your friend said, “accept me for who I am“…. Well, they won’t be changing themselves to make you happy, and your not changing yourself to make the friendship happy. So what does that make you two?
“_ _ _ _ _ _ _â€

If you were someone that loves to gossip, tease, flirt, taunt, hurt, lie, or anything that can be negative, would you want us to accept you for who you were? Would you want to be known as the “gossip queen of the townâ€, or the “bully of the schoolâ€, maybe you would like to be called the “Idiotâ€, maybe “Retardâ€. Yes, those would sound great and I bet if I flaunted those great qualities my interviewer would hire me for the job as the liar of the team!

Unless you are one of those, or think people should accept you for who you are, you will probably say, heck no I don’t want to be known as one of those! I rather be called, Smart, Kind, Loyal, Courageous, or a Leader. Then get lost of your stupid saying, “Accept me for who I amâ€. Because the second you say that you are opening my doors to know and call you a failure.

If you think and ask yourself, Who am I? Most of us will probably have no idea who we truly are. There are probably a few select few that can portray themselves that they do, and that’s probably where all of us would like to be at some point, which we probably will think never happened.

Here’s some food for thought, though. If your friends are always adapting to who you are and your adapting to them, what about your “enemies“? Your “enemies†aren’t willing to change for you since they don’t care about you. They probably won’t hint that your talking to much about others, or bullying that kid in the corner. They will tell you what your like flat out. Sometimes the words are a bit stronger, but the meaning of the word they are using is probably true! Most times if someone doesn’t like you they are not changing to accommodate you. Why don’t they want to accommodate you? Because they don’t like how you act like an idiot or a selfish person, or maybe how you dress. If your dressing like someone on a street corner, their going to tell you, you look like one. Simple as that!

People don’t dislike you for no reason, there is a reason, maybe you should follow up on the “latter†and open up your mind to figure it out. Change, become a better person, people will love you more because of it. If you think people accepted you for who you were all this time, you are blind and you should realize even your own parents didn’t accept you for you. Were you punished for something you did wrong? I would probably think so. Do they still punish? Well that’s one hint that your not changing and becoming the brilliant person you really are.

I think it's great and most people are always changing on a daily basis. If you don't then how do you enjoy life and how do you learn anything new? Where's the adventure in not finding out something new or meeting someone new daily. All cultures have something to learn from and all things can be different for each person you meet. Take in what your friends tell you and what you discuss with them to make the world a better place. Honesty is the best policy and change always starts at home.

Last edited:
Thanks for the good insight. Your right about enjoying life, if you can't do something new or have some sort of change, it will get boring! I agree 100% with honestly as well

Back