AC in the Garage

Had our builder insulate all four walls to include ceiling. Had the "main" garage panels special ordered; the kind that are insulated. Yesturday it was 97 when I got home (outside); inside the garage it was 83. Fired up my WallyWorld window unit, and cooled it down to 76 in less than 20 minutes. I don't keep it running 24/7; only when I'm working in the garage. And these days its quite abit.
:laugh:

zzzzz.jpg

We just knocked a hole in the wall and put a window unit in. Truth be told, I didn't do it or there'd be a huge crumbling hole in the wall and an ac that fell out the other side...

we did it for our Newfoundland dogs and installed a huge doggy door. I benefit when tinkering with the scooters. It's a nice upgrade to the casa

I have experience with this too and if you want to do it right with an uninsulated garage, you have to pay up for a 20,000 btu:bowdown: or bigger window unit. They are big and heavy but kick out the cold air to keep the garage cool. Good Luck!

Well, I purchased a portable AC.
I think I need to go to a higher BTU.
THis one is 9000, it is ok but Sleepless and Big E still complains that it is too hot :banghead: It was 98 degrees yesterday.

IMG_0426.jpg

When I was in the islands, we used portable ac's built into a cart that comes with all the ducting. $550 price range, and about twice the size and 2-3 times the cooling capacity of a good window unit.

People rent a villa, the owners didn't have us come do the Ac before the folks moved in, easy $100 a day for rental :)

So how do you insulate the garage doors?

Keith I have a 28,000 BTU unit I picked up on sale last year for about 400.00 I went to they garage door company and ordered styrafoam panels that fit perfectly in the door. It cost about 100 bucks to insulate it and about an hour to slide them in. I noticed about a 25.00 increase on my electric bill but I spend alot of time in there. I keep it at 69 and the u it has no problem keeping up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Keith I have a 28,000 BTU unit I picked up on sale last year for about 400.00 I went to they garage door company and ordered styrafoam panels that fit perfectly in the door. It cost about 100 bucks to insulate it and about an hour to slide them in. I noticed about a 25.00 increase on my electric bill but I spend alot of time in there. I keep it at 69 and the u it has no problem keeping up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Nice! 28k BTU is a good amount for a garage though. One day when I have my house I'll be putting something around that size in it.

I'm thinking of building a small workroom in my garage and just heat/AC that part w/window ac and elect heat.

Back