Winter storage ?

mzrsq

Busaless
Donating Member
Registered
I currently keep both the Busa and the RoadStar in Condor Wheel chocks while sittng in the garage.  Being that this is the first year that I've ever had chocks, I was wondering if it's OK to store them for the winter in the chocks or if it would be bad on the tires.  Anybody else have any experience here.

The bikes actually take up less room standing straight up than on kickstands, and between the 2 bikes and the wife's mustang, I need all the room I can get in a one car garage.  I have Pit-Bull stands for the Busa, which would be ideal, just can't get it close enough to the walls with the handles and everything sticking out.

TIA

Scott

I'm no expert, but I understand that barrings flat spot if you leave something mechanical at rest for an extended time. Engine, wheel, etc. The stands would help, but you need to rotate the barrings once in a while IMHO.

TTT

rock.gif

(dadofthree @ Nov. 08 2006,21:53) I'm no expert, but I understand that barrings flat spot if you leave something mechanical at rest for an extended time. Engine, wheel, etc. The stands would help, but you need to rotate the barrings once in a while IMHO.
+1 on the "flat spots" and the bearings. if you want to save space and your not going to ride her for a while, pull the mirrors off and lower cowl plastics. this would give you a bit more space.

Hey Scott, you might not want to spend the money but how about the board sponsors Redline.
They have the SWIVEL stand that you should be able to put on the stands and then push to the wall.
I know it won't help the roadstar, but it would the Busa.

I left my bike on my Baxley last year. I pull the belly pan and bought a small floor jack from Advance Auto. I jacked the bike up enough to raise the rear wheel every two weeks or so and ran the bike for about 15 minutes and then through the gears at low idle enought to clear the pipes of moisture and heat the oil up etc...

I'm not trying to criticize anybodys winter storage ritual, but most bikes I've stored for winter aren't seen again until spring. I change the oil, run as much gas as out of the tank as I can, put a little fuel system treatment in, quick coat of wax. remove tha battery and cover it up. I don't look at it again `til the temps come up in April (maybe March) if the snow is melted. Between plowing snow amd riding sleds I don't have time to even think about starting it up periodically. I've never had mechanical issues to speak of by doing it that way!! Maybe I'm lucky!

If your not going to be moving it all winter I wouldn't do it. The chocks wouldn't be the problem it would be the bike sitting in the same spot for an extended period of time.

I store my bike from usually the end of November to the beginning of April. I start it once a week and drive it around the storage parking lot then back in it goes.

I've always took care of all my bikes this way and never have had any problems.

I think for a single winter season of riding all you have to worry about is condensation/rust in the tank, old gas, and maybe flatting the tires.

If you keep the tank full and put fuel stabilizer in it, you can check #1 off your list. You can do a lot to delay flat spots in the tires if you up the pressure to 50-60 psi, or even more...

Back