AC in the Garage

Djxtrodinaire

Registered
so Heat is here. ???
Was wondering if anyone uses a portable AC unit or did you just plum with the central AC?
Any suggestions?
I was even contemplating on knocking down the wall between my dining room and garage....
Im sure the wife wont notice :whistle:
Thanks

My crazy neighbor cut a hole in the outside wall of his garage and installed a window unit. He then proceeded to insulate the garage door to protect it from the direct heat of the sun. It works well and keeps the area comfortable. My concern with it is there now is an access point into his garage and house that is not secure.
Best part about it all is that he is renting! :rofl:

When i bought my house it had a swamp cooler up on the side, makes life pretty darn nice only problem i have is gotta be careful when i do metal work or freshly sanded bare steel rusts over pretty quick. Problem 2 is since my garage is 90% unfinished and i dont have a attic it gets really really warm rather fast. When time and money allows going to insulate and drywall everything.

My buddy has a 18x45 add on down the side of his 2 car, he bought a big central ac unit just for the garage but opted to not run it since he already pays 5xx a month with a hot tub, pool, central ac in the house etc. He bought a cheap used swamp cooler off craigslist, built a cart and fills the bottom with water, plugs it in and can move it around where ever he's working. Makes summer get togethers on his patio really nice:thumbsup:

My crazy neighbor cut a hole in the outside wall of his garage and installed a window unit. He then proceeded to insulate the garage door to protect it from the direct heat of the sun. It works well and keeps the area comfortable. My concern with it is there now is an access point into his garage and house that is not secure.
Best part about it all is that he is renting! :rofl:

WOW that owner is in for a bike shock.... :rofl::rofl:

I was going to say a powerful window unit would be his best bet but not cut a hole in the wall :rofl: A portable unit to cool that big of an area would be super expensive. A window unit would be the more affordable route. Do you have any fans in the garage to circulate air to aid the air conditioner?

Here's mine you can see in the background. Its a 20,000 BTU Carrier heat and cool PTAC.

IMG_0050.jpg

Anybody who has AC in their garage is a wimp and they suck.

I really want AC in my garage! :(

Then I definately suck. As long as I have electricity available and can purchase a unit, I will have A/C. Being in south MS without A/C in the summertime is like being in Michigan in the winter with no heat.

You don't do either if you can afford not to.

Then I definately suck. As long as I have electricity available and can purchase a unit, I will have A/C. Being in south MS without A/C in the summertime is like being in Michigan in the winter with no heat.

You don't do either if you can afford not to.
Yea I'm in goula ms and its already toasty
Posted via Mobile Device

When I moved into our house, I insulated the heck out of the ceiling, and drywalled the garage. Since the washer and dryer are in the garage, it had a small vent for heat and ac connected to the unit for the house. We replaced our furnace and ac a few years ago, and I had them install a bigger unit and additional vent to the garage. Now the garage is the coolest room in the summer, and warmest in the winter. :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm going to have to do something this year.. temps reach in excess of 115 in the day and over 90 at night in my garage in the summer.. it sucks working on the bike when you can't stop sweating.

Portable units are a waste. Most times their btu ratings are not efficient for the service area. Additionally they utilize 110v which cost alot & parts are a pain to replace when they demand it. A 220v window or split system is the way to go...you can run your system twice as long for the same cost & parts when needed are readily available also you can get an efficient capacity for your area.

Back