A word about "helmets"

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
and that "word" is..."FITMENT"

In my experience on the net for the past 8 years "Helmets" have always been a hot topic which often times evolve into heated debates...which usually starts out with poster "A" giving a rave review of a newly purchased helmet they are extremely pleased with and ends off with poster "B" running out to buy one and NOT experiencing the same great results as poster "A" previously proclaimed...the irony of it all?...both are correct and truthful and...no...nobodys telling lies...as poster "A" got great fitment and poster "B" got fitment but...not great...and this is what makes reviewing helmets so subjective and why the reviews of a certain make/model/brand usually runs the gambit of "The Best Thing Cracker Jacks" and...utterly sux....and everything in between...as our own individual and infinite head shapes dictate the outcomes of our own individuall findings, results and reviews...hence all the "Subjectivity" on the topic which then in turn gives birth to the ultra wide range of personal reviews.

"SILENCE IS GOLDEN" as any given helmets reputation is often times judged by "How Quiet It Is" or?...isn't....and here's the lowdown....there are two things that controls how quiet a helmet is or isn't and they are...

1. "VENTILATION": if you've choosen a model of helmet that is heavily ventilated?...you're gonna hear some serious wind noise...as the number of....and SIZE of..all those air intakes and their associated vents are funneling wind into and around your head while it's entarpped in said helmet...='s "Wind Noise" and is why the more experienced and dedicated racer types who choose heavily ventilated helmets (such as ARAI's Corsair line) for their track time jousts already know that wearing earplugs is a given...but is also a trade-off they are willing to endure in the name of relief from heat exhaustion hence reduced fatigue levels.

2nd is..."FITMENT": and here's where it gets a little tricky as a guy with a round head can indeed find a helmet designed for a narrow head that feels like it fits...now he may have had to go a size up from norm but...damn if it don't feel like it fits in the stealerships helmet boutique...but out on the road?...it's...HEY!....This things the noisiest bastage I ever wore and that damn so and so said they were quiet!...well guess what bucko?...it only felt like it fit...when in actuality?...it didn't....and now there's two huge air leaks on your head...one under your chin and the other just under the base of your round headed skull...the "for and aft under areas" of a helmet that was designed for a head slightly longer and narrower than your own...and the same can hold true in reverse...where a narrow headed rider buys a helmet designed for a round headed rider...and now those two same air leaks exist except now? they are located on either underside instead of for and aft.....and this is the worser of the two scenarios as these leaks are now located just under the riders ears...hence the noise of a misfitting helmet.

We here as individuals can not tell anybody else which helmet might be quiet for them....KBC's run narrow...HJC's run Round....Arai and a host of other top shelfers make several lines to suit either and then should be professionally adapted with custom fit headliners and cheekpads....especially when purchasing that high dollar graphics model you always thought you wanted and saved up for....and is also why I won't "Order A Helmet"....he11,,,a few years back?....KBC came out with this gun metal chrome number I took a liking to...and the local shop had 6 of'em...3 were size "L" and 3 were size "XL"....and out of'em all?....one fit me...and that was trying them all on annnnnd...experiencing a "L" that fit to loose and a "XL" that actually felt a tad snug...figure that one out as...I did.

You need not spend a bundle (unless your so inclined) and I'm to the point that I don't even look at price...I simply buy "WHAT FITS BEST"...(admittedly closely followed by matching colors and/or graphics)...but "FITMENT" always comes first with me...and it took me years and many wasted dollars to figure this out so please...don't biotch about my long post as I'm certain I just saved at least some here the same grief in the time it took to read it.
laugh.gif

and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

What is the best choice in a novelty helmet, that's what I really want to know!
http://www.buymotorcyclehelmets.com/infopage.asp?page=13&extra=1

I only put up the link because you had helmets in quotation marks.
wink.gif

Having sold a few helmets (used to work behind a parts counter) I can say you've got some good rules of thumb written out. My mis-shapen head fits Shoei the best.

<!--EDIT|MrHans
Reason for Edit: "clarification"|1140199561 -->

Just wanted to add to what Jinkster stated about fit. Even within a particular brands model range you will come across vast sizing discrepancies. Case in point. I had (have) an older Arai Signet (XXXL) Which had served me well for far longer than the recommended 5 year (9 to be exact) service life. The newest version of the Signet (GT) in the exact same size didn't fit me at all! I waited until they came out with the new Profile. Same story didn't fit me worth a damn. I was considering going to a Suomy or Shoei but couldn't find one to try on locally. So I then I tried on a Corsair (XXL) Voila! Fit me like a glove. So I bought a new Kenny Junior Corsair. And I have to say that I ride with earplugs all the time anyways and cannot tell the difference in noise as some have stated. But you gotta try em on before you buy em! Your life could be at stake!

Very true words. Thanks. I will say that if you've been lucky enough to find a particular make and model of helmet that suits you well, then stick with it for comfort, safety, and piece of mind. It does little good if you have a $600 brain bucket that is all blinged out but doesn't fit properly.

I had no clue about helmet fitment until 8 months ago.I had to let go of my Arai and move into a Shoei. My Arai was too noisy because it was too big and shaped wrong for my melon. Wind noise is no longer and issue.
Nice Write-up.

helmets are a wild topic. Since getting crashed in a couple of different stlyes like beanies and fullface the topic has been of particular interest to me.

Studies have shown that yer brain will suffer less injury in a 69$ helmet from PepBoys than it will in a 1200.oo dollar Shoei.

Here's why. When yer head comes to a sudden stop,like in a crash,yer brain sloshes around inside yer head and actually slams up against the inside of yer skull. Thats where the trauma happens. The inside of yer skull is not smooth either which causes the bleeding.

We have been fooled by helmet makers. Tricked into thinking that we should buy a helmet that can widthstand a 600 pound weight being dropped on it from 85 feet up. Sure,an exageration...but not by much. Snell an' actual person, set up his foundation and has been aproving helmets for years. Unfortunately,he's been allowing helmets that are too hard. industry standards in some instances test a helmet at a speed of 15 MPH and get a passing grade. DOT,Snell,ANSI whatever. It doesn't really matter. If you could choose the speed at which your accident was going to occur at,you could make an' exellent choice as to just what helmet would best suit yer needs.
Low-moderate speed...the 69$ helmet from Pepboys. Moderate-high speed...its borderline the cheapo or a medium strength one. High-Busa speed,you need something that won't come apart or yer dead instantly. Problem is,if you survive several hi speed shots to your brain...you'll survive,but you'll wish you hadn't and so will yer fam cause you'll be brain dead.

What a cheap lid actually does is transfer less G-Force from the collosion to your brain. A nice hard helmet doesn't give and so consequently transfers most of the energy to yer brain.

For obvious reasons you should always wear a full face to protect your face. Their are instances thou where the jaw of the helmet hits the offending object first and uses the neck as a fulcrum causing the back of the helmet to damage the cervical area causing things like paralasys. Get the lightest helmet you can afford, a heavy helmet can increase the speed of yer head dramatically,and ultimately do more damage.

In the end...helmets help,but they can also hurt. Purchase a helmet that fits well for sure. A helmet off by even one size, has been proven to be about 20% less effective. That is alot..especially at BUSA SPEEDS.

Do yer research boys and girls. Get good fit,get the helmet that transfers the least amount of G-force. Seeing is very important,tests have been done showing which helmets have the greatest amount of periferal vision. It's a huge topic.

You can always do what the average helmet buyer does ....

buys the one with coolest graffics.

ride safe....RSD.

Buy one size too small.  The helmet should not fit your head at the dealership.  You should have to squeeze your head into it, and some points uncomfortably.  This does sound wrong, I know.  After wearing this helmet for a few months(1/2 hour to an hour at a a time), the helmet conforms to the size of YOUR head.  That is what we want tthe helmet to fit anyway.  It is less likely to lift or twist on the head...............................Example.......................My head is 71/4.  I wear an Arai quantum size XS.  When I was buying my helmet, the Arai rep had just finished giving a seminar to Cycle Gear in the Escondido area and was still in the house.  He fitted me and even though it took me 15-20 seconds to put the helmet onto my head(not including the chinstrap), he wouldn't sell me any other helmet.  I am so glad 5 years later because this thing IS the shape of my head.  Hell, I don't even have to do the chinstap and never get lift or twist.  Sorry for the long post,  but I couldn't help but throw my .02 in!

It is true that some of the "cheapie" helmets have tested safer than most of the high dollar ones....no one knows what is going to happen in a particular crash....so who's testing standards are the best....thats a on going debate. The expensive "Racer Replica" helmets are worth a look....many of these are the lightest helmets available and comfort and durability should be a top priority. You also want a lid that the visors and padding are easy to change and maintain.

The most important thing when buying a new lid is to take your time and try on as many different brands and models that you can...every bodies head is a different size and shape....don't just opt for the coolest looking one....get the lightest and most comfortable one that you can find
wink.gif

Price is the last thing that you should consider....the best one for you could be $100 if the $700 one fits you perfectly and you can afford it...go for it
wink.gif

wink.gif

Buying one that stays on your head during the crash is the most important aspect of buying a helmet.  According to an inteview done by a guy on sportbikes.com a few years ago with I believe a trauma room doctor the its quite common for the helmet to come off your head and in many cases this is fatal where it otherwise the person would have survived. This makes a lot of sense when you consider the most common accident (cage turn in front of you) basically you are going to experience a lot of G forces (initially coming off the bike and flying through the air) and then experincing the final impact where you land/slide).  Make sure your lid is snug.

This also goes for all of your gear.

Helmets, jackets, pants, gloves, and boots. Get what fits you. Then what costs ok and then what looks good.

Jacket/pant armor won't do any good if the jacket/pant is too big and the armor just slides/rotates out of the way. Gloves/boots shouldn't be slipping off your hands/feet.

Trying on as many different kinds will allow you to find the one that fits you.

Back