A new twist (pun intended) on

EastCoast

Donating Member
Registered
Since a lot of you have installed Throttlemeister and know how it is done, I will make this short enough to explain what I did differently.

Someone else may have already thought of this so I apologize if you have seen it before. I only have pictures of pertinent shots to what I did different. Lets begin.

1. Remove stock bar ends using an impact driver and a #3 Phillips head bit.

NOTE I used a #2 Phillips and stripped the throttle side screw so bad that my local dealer charged me $20 to get it out. At the same, though, he removed the left side screw, so I don't feel so bad about paying the money.

2. Roll back the grip to expose the lip on the throttle.

throttle_lip.jpg

3. This is what I did different from other installs. Normally, I guess, you cut off or Dremel down the lip to install the friction sleeve that comes with Throttlemeister.

I did not do this. Instead I cut the friction sleeve to fit over the throttle side end, up to the lip. See pics below. The piece on the left is the part of the sleeve I will use.

<!--EDIT|EastCoast
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136524167 -->

sleeve_cut.jpg

5. Roll the grip back down over the lip with friction sleeve in place. See pic.

I did not want to cut the lip off the throttle because I wanted to keep it as stock as possible.

grip_rolled_down.jpg

6. Throttlemeister comes with different widths of shims to tailor the amount of tightening applied to the throttle when Throttlemeister is engaged. I used the three thin shims. Below is pic of Throttlemeister disengaged... no friction is applied to throttle. See the amount of brass showing.

<!--EDIT|EastCoast
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136519375 -->

throttlemeister_disengaged.jpg

Here is a pic of Throttlemeister fully engaged. Notice that there is more brass showing. The brass extends out from the Throttlemeister bar end and puts pressure on the friction sleeve; this pressure is what holds the throttle open while riding.

throttlemeister_engaged.jpg

Finally here is a picture of both Throtllemeister bar ends on the bike.

I hope you have enjoyed this pictorial.

both_sides_on.jpg

Nice,glad you got that dang screw out.
The 20.00 was worth every penny.....

good on ya...nice pics!! I'm trying to decide if i want to get the polished ends or the regular ones...cant make up my mind....

Thanks Guy  
slider1.gif
, I am ordering some this month and I
xblueman.gif
didn't know how I was going to do this. You made it simple for everyone, So a big Thanks to YA  
ss011.gif

good on ya...nice pics!!  I'm trying to decide if i want to get the polished ends or the regular ones...cant make up my mind....
Whichever you go for get the heavy ones. I didn't weigh them but my guess is that they're about the same as the stock... maybe a bit heavier.

I went with polished because I had ideas of painting them with Duplicolor Metalcast to give them an anodized look in red or their new smoke color. Link

There is an electronic cruise control available for the price of TM. and it really works. Audiovox I believe.
That mod is last on my list.... I kinda like twisting....
laugh.gif

Nice walk-through.  Looks good.
Thanks Ken! I wasn't sure how it would work since I cut and used so little of the friction sleeve but, I took her on the local Hwy where the speed limit is 65 MPH and it worked just fine. I had to fine tune the throttle until I got the desired speed.

The whole time I was thinking to myself that I didn't want to grind away the lip on the throttle, that's when I thought about cutting the sleeve instead.

Quick money saving tip. if ya don't want to buy the impact screwdriver, Grab the bar end firmly with your bare dry hand and twist the bar end counterclockwise. It will pop the screw loose easily without ANY possible way of messing up the screw head.
wink.gif

Back