90w in Steering Dampner how-to?

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
Seen where ppl had the oil changed to 90w IIRC in the dampner, for a cheap and quick fix. However, search got me nowhere. I have ez access to it now. I looked it over, thinking its remove the drain bolt, drain, then syringe fill...just not sure.

+1 on the tutoral
smile.gif

I had mine taken apart to install my HID's and was thinking the same thing.  

Seems all you have to do it remove damper from it mounts.
Then remove the service/drain plug.  
Compress the damper to purge the old fluid out.
Flip the damper with service plug up and service with 90W as you decompress it.  
Do this with a small syringe.
Reinstall drain plug and reinstall your damper.  

Hope I got it right and have not done this yet on mine.  We'll wait for someone else to chime in.  
beerchug.gif

Seems I recall someone saying that they had submersed it in 90w and worked the piston until all the air had been bled out. Then installed the drain plug while it was still immersed. Sounds messy but I'll bet it works great.

dayummm some Deja Vu going on here ....

I'll offer this ...the trick is getting ALL of the air out...

(fsusux @ Jan. 06 2007,23:43) Seems I recall someone saying that they had submersed it in 90w and worked the piston until all the air had been bled out. Then installed the drain plug while it was still immersed. Sounds messy but I'll bet it works great.
This is the right way to do it. You need a container with a wide mouth in order to submerse the damper. Just cut the top off an oil bottle, clean it out really well and fill it with 90w oil.

Remove the little screw and work the spring to get all the old oil out. (Dispose properly, of course!
biggrin.gif
) When you've gotten as much out as you possibly can, then you immerse the opening into the new oil and start pumping the damper in order to get it to draw in the new oil and express out the air bubbles.

After if SEEMS like it has no more bubbles in it, let it sit in the oil for 30 minutes or so, then work it again. More bubbles will be expresses. Let it sit in the oil for a while more, work the damper some more to get more bubbles out. You'll find you have to do this several times with waiting periods in between. Seems like it takes forever!

When you're all done, keep the damper submersed and put the screw back in. Clean up and you're all set. Put some grease around the rubber mount and you should be good to go.

--Wag--

Thanks Pusher... will be trying to knock this out today as well...

from those that know this, they say it helps keep the front end more firmer and from doing the dreaded tank slapping.

Well, I done it. I used a syringe like the link had in it. Then quadruple check to make sure when worked from side to side there were no air pockets left. It feels much tighter, and should provide a nice feel back. I'll have to update once the Busa is put back together. Thanks for the info and help everyone.

Charlie (I'm loving the Busa being down for paint, gives me time to do all these cool little things... btw the mirror is drying, I sanded, wet sanded, cleaned, and painted it. Will post pics later).

(heavybusa @ Jan. 07 2007,12:24) Cat you are a regular bike mechanic now.
beerchug.gif
Thanks Heavy...I'ma trying and learning more about these things everytime I get on here....

hayabusa99.... why is the top of your airbox black? I spy a non- BMC Filter
smile.gif

Looks like our Busa's could be stablemates right now. I have no idea when my plastics will be done painted, so I'm tinkering around daily til they are home.
Lowered the rear today, finally, had the links for 2 or 3 months doh! Hopefully I can powder coat the wheels before this 4day w/e, and covers, and....... the list never ends.

i would agree, that filter is among the many list of mods getting done but can only find so much time and money to get it all done before leaving for daytona bike week in march!! I just can't stop working on it polishing everything and making it look as good as i can before bike week! Every place that will chrome parts are out 2 months on work and can't get me parts back in time before i leave so the work I am doing is definately easy on the wallet but not on the body!! Good luck with your bike too, would like to see pics when it is done!
beerchug.gif

Charlie, after working the dampner in the oil which position do you finish in to make sure you have the proper amount of 90W?

(TALYN @ Jan. 07 2007,18:04) Charlie, after working the dampner in the oil which position do you finish in to make sure you have the proper amount of 90W?
As I understand it, it doesn't matter. It's a closed loop system.

--Wag--

Back