Steering Dampner

Metricman

Registered
Hello, I have an 04 LE with 5K miles on it. Lately I have been 'feeling' a little click or stick when down shifting and releasing the clutch and working the brake. Esp. noticable at slower speeds when coming to a stop or taking off. Its not very pronounced but it is there. The bike runs fine. I was reading this forum on 'clicking' sounds coming from the front end and about steering dampners. I reached up under the bike tonight and could feel that the dampner is somewhat loose and pivots up and down at that allen screw that secures the middle of the dampner to the sterring head.
Is the dampner supposed to have any play in it ? or should I try to tighten up that screw ? I can moveit up and down about 3/8"
Thanks !
mh

Hello, I have an 04 LE with 5K miles on it. Lately I have been 'feeling' a little click or stick when down shifting and releasing the clutch and working the brake. Esp. noticable at slower speeds when coming to a stop or taking off. Its not very pronounced but it is there. The bike runs fine.  I was reading this forum on 'clicking' sounds coming from the front end and about steering dampners. I reached up under the bike tonight and could feel that the dampner is somewhat loose and pivots up and down at that allen screw that secures the middle of the dampner to the sterring head.
Is the dampner supposed to have any play in it ? or should I try to tighten up that screw ? I can moveit up and down about 3/8"
Thanks !
mh
everything is cool. it just "does that".

Don't sweat it with the dampner....that is their design....aircraft nose dampners are the same....just the way they are designed I guess....So I guess I am just backing up the other guys and saying don't worry....

The 'Busa makes all kinds of interesting noises, that's just one of them.

It adds to the character of the bike.

It fidgets like a caged tiger until you let it loose, then everything's lean, mean and magnificent...
smile.gif

The little ball joint in the damper allows for it to have a little play in it, so don't worry about it.

Back