87 octane better in the busa? Why?

smileyexhibit.gif

Octane is gasoline's resistance to burning.
no,it is rating for how much compression it can handle before self igniting(knocking).a stability rating so to speak.higher octane rating/higher the compression that you can have without suffering preignition
it will still burn at the same rate.
it used to be that the reason you ran supreme was to insure the quality of the gas that you got(regular unleaded had/has more additives in it;detergents,oxygenators,etc.)
it does not affect performance
whether or not the current additive blends are the same between the different ratings or not i no longer know.
i know that there used to be a difference
i know that cheaper gas had more crap in it
i know that the minimum octane rating that suzuki recommends is 87(minimum!)
i know that every mechanic i have ever asked recommends supreme(i guess they must get gas company kickbacks,sic)

sorry that i am not up to date on current additive blends,as i no longer work for Exxon Petroleum

I think what MikeyD was saying was not that it burns at a different rate, but that gasolines resistance to preignition increases as the octane increases. He's on the same page.

Good information there Grinch and welcome to the board. I have one question for you (bear with me its a little long). If octane is based on compression only, then the ability to acurately test the octane vs. the compression would be a moving target wouldn't it?

My reasons for this train of though is that a 11:1 compression ratio at slow everyday riding speeds would never generate the higher internal temps that a 11:1 at full race pace (say roadracing). With that being the case, why would you base an entire fuel rating system on a moving target (internal heat) even though it has a fixed value (11:1 compression).

Wouldn't it be a better way to rate gasoline octane by the temperature that it actually ignites at? Really, who cares what the compression is, because a high compression motor at its coolest could be cooler than a lower compression motor that you are running the crap out of. It doesn't change the fact that if your motor is knocking the octane needs to be increased regardless of your compression.

I understand that for the consumer it is easiest to just quote a compression ratio, but on the engineering testing level the actual temp at which the fuel ignites would be more precise.

Keep in mind that I am not a fuel expert in any way, and I am not flaming or hacking, I am however curious. Don't be afraid of sharing your fuel knowledge, it is much appreciated.

Ride safe,

the grinch is right about mostly all things in his post except one thing, the higher grade gasolines burn at a very slightly slower rate than the lower grades, because of the fewer impurities in it, almost undetectable by todays equipment but still slightly slower. The octane rating is a percentage of octane/heptane octane is heptane will spontaneously combust when it is compressed even slightly, heptane's chemical composition is C7H16 which mean it's 7 atoms of Carbon and 16 atoms of hydrogen , while the octane can withstand high compression factors and it's chemical composition is C8H18 (I think you can figure it out from there)

manufacture says the bike it tuned to accept 87 [faster exploding] so I put that in. I don't want 'delays' going on inside the engine. it works, it's fast, it's fine

stock moter? run 87,

if ya start pingin' then go up from there. otherwise its a waste of MONEY specially at times like this, and will foul your plugs quicker.

above stock motor, do what your tuner says.

whats a tre?

How bout if we don't have 87.  Here, we start at 86, then 89, then 91.  Which one should I put in?
before you ride, call your local dealer. If they can't help, send an email to SuzukiUSA.

EPT!!!!!!
WHAT THE HECK YOU THINK??
I know, sarcastic response you have.. use some imagination.

In the 70's we waited over 1 mile in line for gas.. what would you have asked then?!

Maybe theres a difference between cars and bikes with fuel grades. I've alway known to run the highest octane in my cars, i read that you get better performance with the lowest octane in the busa.
I can't understand this.

I'd appreciate any info on this matter.
Number one your logic for a car does not ring true Depends on the car jsut lke a bike. many cars that preform well will run on 87 octane. Look at the definiton of octane. Burns slower. Big blcks Turbo cars Supercharged cars al need higher octane.

On the site elsewhere a guy asked what octane to run and i told him to run high test, Uh, sorry bout that.
So far in my 04' all i've ran is high test, i'll try the 87 next time.

But you gotta run 93 with a turbo on the bike,right?
Depends what how you drive your Turbo. You can do 91 on low boost. if you are doing high sped runs on a turbo you need 100 octane. 93+ additives or GT gas.

I tried 87 tonight on the busa, rode 62 miles on the tank, I beleive im getting better performance.
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the insight guys.

Back