600 mile service

Buy a rear stand, a can of Maxima chain wax, a gallon or bigger can of kerosene and you're all set. Heck, if you can change oil anf filter, that's about 85 percent of the total service! Trust me, been doing my own maintenance for 30 years now! It ain't rocket science, the dealer service is a big rip off!
Chain adjustment, as I am sure you already know, is in your Owner's manual. Some may say those little adjustment marks aren't accurate, but hey, they're close enough!
Put her up on the rear stand, wipe that chain down and rear sprocket with kerosene, then wipe it dry with a dry rag. Rotate the rear wheel while appying the chain (no fling) wax.
Adjust the chain as instructed, buy a 36 mm socket at Kragens or Autozone or where ever. IMPORTANT: Before you remove the right fairing to get at that oil filter, remove the top three fairing fasteners and apply a strip of masking tape to that upper portion of fairing that won't be removed. You'll prevent scratching, see if any dealer does that for you!!
I'll get flamed by many on this next hint I'm sure, but again, trust me! After you drain the oil, only "hand tighten" the drain plug, then put a socket on the drain plug and give it just a touch past hand tight, it will not leak. Check all visible fasteners and hex nuts for tightness, pay particular attention to those phillips screws that hold the bar ends on and the couple of hex bolts that secure your windscreen. That's about it man, jump for joy, you just put $160 in your pocket!
And guess what? You have just done a much more thorough job than the knuckle draggers down at the shop would do!
smile.gif
THanks for the detailed instructions.
super.gif

Ok I'm writing this for posterity sake. I just did 600 mile service except the chain adjustment since for some crazy reason autoparts/sears were all out of 36 mm socket.

call me a little b!tch/wimp/quitter , i don't care, these are the things I've learned.

1, removing and installing fairing is a PAIN
2, Fairings don't reinstall perfect like the dealer did no matter how hard I tried to line them up.
3, removing/installing oil filter is a major PAIN even with suzuki oil wrench
4, PDF on this site is slightely different than owner's manual and owner's manual is correct not the PDF
5, Busa doesn't like Dino oil. (Chevron supreme SAE 10w-40) which manual say would be fine. It's true to some extent but increased vibration decrease in fuel economy is NOT worth it.

I'm draining the day old dino oil tomorrow for genuine suzuki oil. Chain adjusting seems pretty easy if I can find someone who sells the damn socket.

In my honest and sole opinion those who's busy with work and have enough money to pay for dealer service would be better off going to a reputable dealer when it comes to busas.

<!--EDIT|busafish
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134801493 -->

I'll get flamed by many on this next hint I'm sure, but again, trust me! After you drain the oil, only "hand tighten" the drain plug, then put a socket on the drain plug and give it just a touch past hand tight, it will not leak.
No flame but one minor modification to what you said: You MUST replace the crush washer with a NEW one or this isn't going to work!

--Wag--

I'll get flamed by many on this next hint I'm sure, but again, trust me! After you drain the oil, only "hand tighten" the drain plug, then put a socket on the drain plug and give it just a touch past hand tight, it will not leak.
No flame but one minor modification to what you said:  You MUST replace the crush washer with a NEW one or this isn't going to work!

--Wag--
not to flame you but in working on Suuzkui's for over 20 years at a dealership and on my own I have only replaced a drain plug washer 3 times.

to give you a hint on my own 99 that I draged raced and changed the oil after every meet I am still on the oem plug and washer

If you don't allready have tools, Stands, and at least some experiance tearing down a motorcycle? Stay the hell away from your Busa, the few bucks you save will be no where near the amount of aggravation and hassle your getting into.

The first service is pretty much an oil change, but it's also a fastener check, inspection, and it's good to get your ride in the system. It really can make a difference if something fails down the road.

Back