600 mile srvice

USMCBUSA

Freedom Isn't Free
Donating Member
Registered
If I do my own 600 mile service will it void my warranty? Don't want to pay someone to change my oil and filter and tell me that they checked my valves and everything is okay when i can change my own oil.

usmcbusa,
You may want to have it done just so that you have proof. BTW, welcome! I have always wanted to meet one of the Utah State Marble Champions! You guys are Da Bomb!!!

It will not void the warranty but you might wanna hold to the receipts just in case something does arise. Welcome to the Org by the way
wink.gif

That is what I thought but I just didn't want to pay that much if I didn't have to. Playing with marbles doesn't pay that well and being on of Uncle Sams Misguided Children can be hard isn't much better. Ooh Rah

Yeah, what busahaya said. My dealer long ago told me to just make sure I save the oil/filter purchase receipts and that the warrantee would still be valid. Oh, BTW, if they tell you that they check valve clearances at 600 miles, I'd find another place to take my business! The 600 mile service is just oil/filter change, chain cleaning/adjustment and putting a wrench or socket on visible nuts and bolts, nothing more. Save yourself 2 bills or more and do it yourself!

trust me, the dealer doesn't do much at the 600 mile service, definetly no valve work. I let them do mine just to get my bike into the service computer and register the first (some say most important) service. I ride with the hayabusa mechanic from my local dealership and he says it's just a $75 oil change. They are suppose to tighten fasteners and adjust the chain but.....? I got a three ring binder, made up some vehicle history cards and record everytime I touch the busa. Save ALL recipts. If there is ever a warranty issue, Suzuki will call for the records. Download or buy the shop manual and do all maintenance required by the factory schedule (included) ontime. If you're mechanically inclined and with a little investment, (work stands, a few specialty tools) you can perform all the required maintenance and save thousands....and it is a great way to really get to know your machine. I enjoy working on the beast as much as I enjoy riding her. (the busa, I mean)

From what I've been hearing lately on this board, the warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on, so maybe that's less of an issue than making sure your bike is maintained properly (either by yourself or the stealership's "mechanic".)

Ever since I had the privilege of watching a "qualified mechanic" at a stealership put my Yamaha's engine back together incorrectly because he was "on the wrong page" of the service manual, I've had a deep distrust of those guys.

Try to ensure that whoever works on your bike knows what they're doing.

I really think the warranty is as good as the dealership, meaning if you have a good dealership, they will help you get proper warranty performance. We just happen to have a good local dealership...course it helps when most of the mechanics are also riding buddies.

Thanks to all of you who took time to help. I went today and got everything to service it. I have a shop manual and would rather do it all myself anyways.
poke.gif

From what I've been hearing lately on this board, the warranty isn't worth the paper it's printed on, so maybe that's less of an issue than making sure your bike is maintained properly (either by yourself or the stealership's "mechanic".)

Ever since I had the privilege of watching a "qualified mechanic" at a stealership put my Yamaha's engine back together incorrectly because he was "on the wrong page" of the service manual, I've had a deep distrust of those guys.

Try to ensure that whoever works on your bike knows what they're doing.
I agree totally!!! I mistrust all dealerships motorcycle or car. Never had any of them do work that was worth spit. $330.00 for the 600 mile service, what a rip.

My warranty is out in 6 months, and then I will find a good independant mechanic. I here Cyclewrkz in Fort Worth, TX is good.

Back