Preparing for first ever 600 mile maintenance.

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
I've decided to forego the initial 600 mile service routine through the dealer and do it myself.  I'm a do-it your-selfer/I can do anything around the house kind of person and I'm confident I can getter'done.

I've read through the manual and know I will need to get new oil and filter as well inspect bolts, adjust idle up to 1200, clean and adjust chain and check all other fluids.

OIL CHANGE:
1. I know I need at least 3.5 qt of non-synthetic 10W-40 oil, but is any kind really better than the other or should any brand do?

2. Will I need to get the oil filter (and/or oil) from a Suzuki dealer?

3. Is it necessary to use the Suzuki oil filter wrench device or can I use another tool to loosen/tighten?

4. YES, I'm very aware of "not tightening the drain plug to much" as to strip the threading and using cardboard to keep draining oil off pipes.

5. Am I missing any necessary parts or procedures?

CHAIN CLEAN/LUBE:
1. I know to use kerosene to clean the chain but how do you actually do it (use rag soaked in kerosene, brush w/kerosene, turn wheel/chain while cleaning w/ kerosene drenched rag, etc.)?

2. Once cleaned, what do I use to lube it and what is the best method for doing so?

3. Any special tools needed?

I can figure out the tightening bolts, checking fluids, tires and chain tension stuff myself.  Thanks for any input you can provide.

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153436899 -->

Back