600 mile drive tomorrow

raydog

Enjoying 1 road at a time
Donating Member
Registered
Hey, just one post before I go to bed. I've just bought a year 2000 Hayabusa, owned by a wealthy older guy, with only 1300 miles on it. Bone stock and with 220 mph speedo. Pictures indicate it is flawless, gun metal grey and red. I've had over 60 bikes over the years but do I need to know anything out of the starting gate? I'm picking it up on Friday in my truck then back home to ride! This is my first post and am looking forward to many more. Any quirks I should know about an unrestricted 2000? Thanks for any responses.

Don't be too trusting until you can see recent receipts for necessary maintenance. The thought of six year old OE tires and liquids could spell trouble. Nice find I hope. Found my 79 CBX similarly and flew two states away to get it. Haven't regretted it yet!
biggrin.gif

Two awsome replies, first, I'm reminded that I better be ready personally and respect the bike, then cbxrider brings up the oem tires and liquids. I needed those face slaps so I may remain objective and skillful instead of imprudent and emotional as I take custody of this dude! Hey cbxrider, I just sold my 1980 Yamaha XS-11, highly modified and original owner. Certainly from the same time period and muscle bike era as your big six. Hated to see it go but that was the deal with my wife to allow getting the Hayabusa(and I kept the KLR for dualsport). Anyways, thanks for the advice you guys.

Call Suzuki and make sure the recalls have been performed (Cam chain)..
Welcome to the Org I know you will enjoy this ride. Post some pictures when you get a chance...

Make sure the recalls have been done. I've heard if part of the starter goes south then you have to split the cases to clean the debri.

Thanks to everybody for the welcome and the advice. I'll ck on recalls, change fluids, probably tires, and get pictures up asap. Truck is gassed, loaded and I leave in the morning!

Be sure mileage is accurate, Busa's are notoriously easy to clock. Cam chain recall will be done (grudgingly) for free by any Suzi dealer, and the subframe is no problem unless you are gonna carry 300lbs of passenger or stuff.

you need to do a carfax or whatever and check that the mileage is accurate. only 1300 miles in 6 years sounds kinda fishy
rock.gif

as already stated, make sure you get the recalls checked, i personally know of a recall on the starter (buddy had to have it done on an '01). they will upgrade it to an '03 and newer starter. the splines (teeth) are on a longer shaft.

congrats on the new girl, and be careful on her. and post pics when you get her home.

beerchug.gif
bowdown.gif
super.gif

I'm back in Reno from Portland with a NEW 2000 Hayabusa! The bike is so new the keys still had the dealer tags on them. I inspected the new (but 5 yr old) tires, no cracks, no wear, not brittle. Put some Castrol semi synthetic oil in, and went for a ride today. I used to do Track Riders with my GSXR 1000 at Willow and I had just as much fun on this bike today. There is just nothing like torque on the street! Street Vibrations is in Reno this weekend and there are 1000's of Harleys....not a muffler for 50 miles. I felt so good riding along in a mass of them. Came up to a stoplight and a guy on a nice BMW leaned over to me and said, "what are we doing here?" I laughed and rode off up into the mountains. I love all motorcycles but feel so alien in this crowd compared to the Laguna Seca GP crowd! Diving into corners, short shifting and powering from the apex is so satisfying on this Hayabusa. Anyways, thanks for all the advice and welcomes to this list/group, I'm certainly a proud new member.

Back