30k miles and counting

btreaves

Registered
I have a bone stock (except for the TRE) burgundy year 2000 Suzuki Hayabusa. Recently my bike reached the 30k mile mark...I've never had any significant problems with the bike other than my instrument cluster being screwed up. It's absolutely looney.

Below is a brief synopsis of our lives together.

I had the dealer perform the 600 mile breakin service about 1 week after I took delivery back in May of 2000. Three weeks after I got it I took it up to an indicated 215mph. Haven't been faster since. The bike was still pulling like a freight train. I did the recall for the Cam Chain Tensioner shortly after receiving the notice in the mail, but that was years ago.

The bike is riden hard. I take it up to at least 180mph every time I ride. Myself and the people that I ride with own BUSA's, ZX-12's and GSXR1000's and we're always racing each other from stop light to stop light or doing roll-ons. I go to the drag strip on occasion. My best time is a 9.98 @ 140+mph. The bike was at the stock ride height. I've never ridden it lowered.

I had the bike dynoed when I first got it...It made 156rwhp. I had it dynoed last summer (27k miles) and it made 153rwhp, but it was on a different dyno (newer).

I go through a rear tire every 4k miles or so and a front in 8k miles or so.

Last summer I got a bug up my ass and replaced the coolant & spark plugs for the first time...She had 25k miles on her then. I also changed the air filter a little while back.

I'm taking it to the shop this year for a valve job and a through going over because I think 30k miles is long enough without having the bike checked over. I don't hear anything to indicate anything is wrong, but what the heck. I'm sure some things needs to be done at this point. Hell I only changed the spark plugs roughly 5k miles ago. I change the oil every 5k miles or so. I've still got the stock battery in it. I keep it on a battery tender when I'm not riding of course.

I'm considering putting a full exhaust system on her this year or maybe next year. Probably the Brock Davidson Street Smart System. Other than that...I'm just gonna keep riding.

Basically after 30k miles I am very satisfied. The bike has performed flawlessly for the most part. I've definitely gotten my moneys worth. Hopefully it'll continue to perform like it has in the past.

What are your experiences with your BUSA?

I've only had my 2003 `Busa a few weeks. Just looked at the odometer today when I went to clean her up and noticed I had blown right by the 600 mile mark...Oops. 820 miles to be exact. Scheduled the service for Saturday. Dealer says he can have me in and out and riding again by noon...woohoo. I got caught in the rain Sunday. Man that was a cold azz thunderstorm. Hopefully I'll still be posting here when I get to the 30K mark.

Damn this is good to hear. I have a 2002SE, stock with some minor add ons, Double Bubble, Slip-ons, trimmed up the rear fender some otherwise bone stock at about 4k miles. I am getting ready to take her in for her second service. Have yet to have a single problem knocking on wood. It's good to hear about a solid long wearing Busa, makes me feel a little more comfortable.

Thanks for the details.

Rev

I've got a 2003 and honestly put 10,500 in the first 6 months. I absolutely love to comfort and power of this bike. It's my primary argument to guys that want to challenge the Busas speed. The speed is an awesome attribute, but I'm most impressed that I can ride that baby aaaalllllll day and feel no ill effects. LONG LIVE THE BUSA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love to hear about trouble free ownership!
cool.gif
I've only had mine a few months and 3500 miles - beat the hell out of it but no problems yet.

GREAT post - really like to hear things like that about the busa. It sort of reassures you that you bought the best.

sounds good...mine's still a baby. 99 with less than 10k on her. Still runs strong, except I think I need to change or clean my spark plugs.

Back