Had to share this: Repair shop/tuning shop claims my 40K mile hayabusa or any hayabusa motor shot with anything over 20K miles LOL

cottbusa

Registered
I called a performance shop a couple hours from me that i had heard fairly good stuff about, they work on hayabusa’s & ZX-14’s quite a bit, i’m still having a bit of a problem with an odd idle but called the shop to ask if i could bring it in for a valve adjust and trouble shooting/fix my issue, well.....he says: “40K MILES!!! with the 12:1 compression of these motors thats the equivalent of having 250K on a honda civic or toyota corolla” I said well this thing was used as a sport touring bike & hasnt been put through the ringer, he went on to say that he see’s alot of these needing rebuilt at or around 20K miles, well from that point on i thanked him for his time & hung up. Funny thing is my boys 01 cbrf4i has 40k+ miles & runs great & i have put 30k-50k on nearly every bike i’ve purchased through the years, needless to say im still laughing about his and my conversation.

That's news to me. Maybe if you need to have the bike making tip top hp. My ZX-14 has 50k miles and I can't tell any difference from new except the mods have made it a little better. When the compression falls below spec, I might think about doing something about it. Actually, low compression is good for turbo so that might be a good way to fix it.

You hung up. Good. Never call them again.

Rubb.

A perfect example of:

Law of the instrument

If your tool is a hammer, you tell every customer you need to pound their problem out. This Neanderthal's only tool is rebuilding everything he sees. So everything that goes into the shop gets rebuilt no matter what.

I wonder if he even knows how to use a manometer or if he just throws all new parts in every time so that the vacuum matches. Technically both of these solutions does work. But the cost is a bit different between them.

Unfortunately I've heard that same old story plenty of times even here in Aus. People won't buy a bike with over 30,000kms because the engine is about to blow.

I have 147,400kms on my 08 without one major problem and they seem to think it's been rebuilt 5 or so times.

He must have been thinking about some of the HD bikes which have a rebuilt kit for them when they reach 70,000kms (44,000 miles). and not all of them need this kit but I've heard it is SOP to apply it.

A perfect example of:

Law of the instrument

If your tool is a hammer, you tell every customer you need to pound their problem out. This Neanderthal's only tool is rebuilding everything he sees. So everything that goes into the shop gets rebuilt no matter what.

I wonder if he even knows how to use a manometer or if he just throws all new parts in every time so that the vacuum matches. Technically both of these solutions does work. But the cost is a bit different between them.
This is spot on my guy. You see this in ALL things. Cars, guns, bikes, homes, yards... everything!
They want to fix YOUR problem with THEIR solution. Regardless of whether it’s related or not. Some times they fix your problem with their solution because their solution fixed the actual problem. But often enough their solution doesn’t fix anything and adds additional issues.

I also need to mention when i mentioned to the shop owner about checking/adjusting the valves on my bike he says: even if we set them with that kind of mileage they will not seat correctly ‍♂️. In my 30yrs of riding street/sportbikes i’ve never heard this one lol.

I also need to mention when i mentioned to the shop owner about checking/adjusting the valves on my bike he says: even if we set them with that kind of mileage they will not seat correctly ‍♂. In my 30yrs of riding street/sportbikes i’ve never heard this one lol.
My Suzuki dealer told me that people bring them in for their first valve adjustment and they rarely need it.

This is spot on my guy. You see this in ALL things. Cars, guns, bikes, homes, yards... everything!
They want to fix YOUR problem with THEIR solution. Regardless of whether it’s related or not. Some times they fix your problem with their solution because their solution fixed the actual problem. But often enough their solution doesn’t fix anything and adds additional issues.
Quite often shi7 does get broken as they attempt to "fix" what isn't actually broken.
I also need to mention when i mentioned to the shop owner about checking/adjusting the valves on my bike he says: even if we set them with that kind of mileage they will not seat correctly ‍♂. In my 30yrs of riding street/sportbikes i’ve never heard this one lol.
It might have been interesting to hear the science behind that.Sometimes shop owners have little time actually on wrenches.They might know bidness,but not bikes.
My Suzuki dealer told me that people bring them in for their first valve adjustment and they rarely need it.
True dat. Sometimes they don't need adjustment for 1000's of miles.
Busa motor's are fairly bullet-proof.
Rubb.

Yep boys beware. Before I knew what what causing the noise on the slip clutch, that's what I call it, I brought to the zuki dealership. Mechanic listens to the click or clack when letting the clutch out. He says yep, got to split the cases, $2000m minimum!! :shocked:

This is a good one I sometimes go to a local dealership to get small parts after this incident I am never going back there I needed a oil filter for my 08 bird The owner looked at my face and being serious said there is no such thing as a SUZUKI HAYABUSA :banghead: I don t like arguing with anyone so I made a quick exit never to return :thumbsup:

My '99 Busa with 130,569km (81,131 miles) has never broken down or even given any trouble at all since I got it 6 years ago at 75,000kms. . . . BUT, the usual suspects have been sorted BEFORE they failed or gave trouble.
It's called 'preventative maintenance', replaced original cams that had the hardening starting to wear away on the lobes and also the external fuel pump has been overhauled and maintained.
The compressions on all 4 cyls are at 210-220 psi and leakdown tests showed absolute minimum, barely noticeable, and that's on a motor that has never had the head off, valves never touched, just clearances maintained to spec.

Now, I wanna explain something about the psychology of customers and potential customers here.
There is a customer 'syndrome' that I have seen displayed by many customers at the workshops/dealerships that I have worked at over the last 35 years and it kind of goes along these lines, (they never actually say these words, but you can bet your last dollar they are thinking it ) . . .
"Right, now that I've paid your business to service my bike/car, you are now responsible for ANYTHING that goes wrong with my bike/car . . and I WILL hold you guys to account and you WILL fix it at NO COST to me."
They will argue the point ad nauseam until the workshop manager gives in and says "OK, ok ok . . . we will sort it but just shut ya whining up wouldya" . .
now this is not all customers by any means, but there seems to be a fair number that take this line. A lot of customers are good, fair people, but the bad apples have ruined it for them and they are also treated as a potential 'problem' customer.

So, in anticipation of this, and attempting to pre-empt this situation from eventually arising . . the workshop manager will try to address EVERY possible failure, past and present, that he sees on the vehicle when it presents for the first time at the workshop, for servicing or inspection.

I've never worked in a place where the mechanics are making up BS about the condition of a motor, or for that matter, any components of the vehicle presented, merely to get jobs in and make more money.
I will say I have seen mistakes made that have caused problems and damage to the vehicle, and the mechanic has made up a cover story to get his ass outta jail with the boss and the customer, but seldom thankfully. you see, the guy's (mechanic) reputation as a technician is on the line, and these sort of lies and cover ups tend to be exposed, one way or another eventually.
Funny old world we live in, but I know for sure that HONESTY is the best policy, full stop.

Back