600 mile break in

busapilot911

Registered
I'm sure this has been asked before, but, I couldn't find any info. What all is done at the first tune up? I know they do the oil and filter. I assume they check the valves. What else?

The other part of my question is, is it alright to put new cans on before the first tune? I am approaching the 600 mile mark and have ordered a set of D&D's.

Thanks for any input.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but, I couldn't find any info. What all is done at the first tune up? I know they do the oil and filter. I assume they check the valves. What else?

The other part of my question is, is it alright to put new cans on before the first tune? I am approaching the 600 mile mark and have ordered a set of D&D's.

Thanks for any input.
as far as I know....no valve adjust till later

new cans?....sure go for it . But yer gonna need a re-map.

which means a pc 2 or 3 or 3a ,depending on year an choice.

I have heard of people just throwin diff exhaust on , an' not worryin' about remappin' ... but yer putting on pipes for performance ....ya... an' looks , an' yadda yadda .
I think you'll wanna re-map...D&D are fairly loud...so it would stand to reason that there ain't alot in there,if ya know what I mean .
Just me an my point zero two..... $ 0.02
Have a good 1....and...as Neil Young said....
"Keep on Rockin' in the Free World "

Good Old Rubberside, pretty much spot on again...maybe I should start listening?

Heres what I know from talking to my mechanic Saturday to schedule my 600 Mile.
-They Check and Adjust your Chain.
-Change the oil and Filter
-Check the Plugs, I guess as an indicator of engine health
-Then they motor over the Bike checking all your fastners, nuts bolts etc.
-Put a few new scratches in it for you (Free of Charge)
-Swat you on the ass and charge you $177. Fun Fun.
It's critical to have done to maintain your warranty and all.

Mikeyusf recommended, (too late for Me) That you ride it for the first 50 miles then change the oil. Then follow the recommended break in and take it in at 600 miles.

Hey Rubberside, What kind of oil do you recommend, taking into account Tampa's hotter than hell? I know it is cheap insurance, any thoughts. Thanks
Rev.

Oh yeah, one more thing, <span style='color:orangered'>Rubberside</span>  do you think a re-map is neccessary with just bolt-ons?  I mean I suppose I could just bolt them on and see what happens, if she runs wierd or ragged then map, otherwise not.  

I know Bolt-ons wont do anything for performance but I am looking for...Dare I say it...the look and a small increase in volume, I don't want to loose all my Stealth....

I'll jump in on this.

If you go with a full system, 4-2-1, then you should re-map. If you just go with cans, re-mapping is generally not needed.

That being said, if your cans produce a pop or backfire during downshift or just letting off the throttle, then you may want to consider a re-map. Not to confuse the issue.

As RBSD said, D&D's are pretty thin in the packing department, and might need a re-map. I have the Yosh RS3 slip-on's, and did not re-map, and have no popping. BusaHigg has the D&D's, PM him and ask if did a re-map, I don't think so.

Stealth, the one and only.

coffeecup.gif

Oh yeah, one more thing, <span style='color:orangered'>Rubberside</span>  do you think a re-map is neccessary with just bolt-ons?  I mean I suppose I could just bolt them on and see what happens, if she runs wierd or ragged then map, otherwise not.  

I know Bolt-ons wont do anything for performance but I am looking for...Dare I say it...the look and a small increase in volume, I don't want to loose all my Stealth....
yer doin' it...I'm doin' it...we're all doin it . Pipes,air box mods,this,that,...we're all gonna need pc 2's or 3's at some point . I think . Just about every bike I've ever owned has needed re-jetting of some sort after the installation of after market pipes. Maybe you'll get lucky.
Hope so .

-Put a few new scratches in it for you (Free of Charge)
-Swat you on the ass and charge you $177.  Fun Fun.
   It's critical to have done to maintain your warranty and all.

Hey Rubberside, What kind of oil do you recommend, taking into account Tampa's hotter than hell?  I know it is cheap insurance, any thoughts.  Thanks
Rev.
number 1....I've never been to a dealer...Las Vegas/drugs/motorcycle shop/or other wise.

number 2.... oil.... I use Motul Semi-synthetic .It's not cheap mind you...it's 12 bucks a quart. Not sure of full synth YET .
The heat that yer dealing with shouldn't really be a factor in my opinion . You've got too cool yer engine by other means. I'm not sure I would trust fancy coolants like Engine roll-the-dice , oops , I mean Engine Ice.
Just a bit new for me . I'd add an extra fan or change the existing one to bring the coolant temp down . It's all about thermal and viscosity breakdown right? Oil is everything. It's the only thing in there right. I had a bike a couple years back,I sold it with 90,000 miles on it....it's still runnin' strong.
Change the oil as much as you can afford too. Me, every 6 weeks regardless of mileage . This may seem excessive , but for me , it's not .
Full synth...might be bad for new motors....the jury is out.

Full synth... might be bad for clutches...jury still out.

Full synth... why chance it ?

semi....never had a prob .

Just me, just my point zero two....$0.02

and as always....I can make change .

Remember thou...... I :drink: HEAVILY .

busapilot- Another alternative is the ole' Yosh box. If you are experiencing a stumble at the lower RPM's, a quick shot of +5% usually helps.

The Yoshimura EMS, or the Dyno Jet PC's are great to obtain complete fueling Zen. But if you do need a little "pick me up", there should be someone in your area that can help out with zap from the Yosh Box.

busapilot- Another alternative is the ole' Yosh box.  If you are experiencing a stumble at the lower RPM's, a quick shot of +5% usually helps.  

The Yoshimura EMS, or the Dyno Jet PC's are great to obtain complete fueling Zen.  But if you do need a little "pick me up", there should be someone in your area that can help out with zap from the Yosh Box.
juz b sure it's not that imfamous busa hiccup...does anything REALLY cure that???
I know, I start to stumble...when my MIXTURE is not quite right . At that point NO amount of air is gonna help...you may aswell ADD JUICE . hee hee hee .

Back