575 miles

PaNDeM1C

Your Disease.....
Donating Member
Registered
I passed the first break-in period with 2 more to go (according to the manual). But I couldn't find some info in it I need:

Please help...

1. How often should you generally check the oil?
2. How often (mileage) should you change the oil?
3. Coolant?
4. Other fluids?

I looked in the manual first before asking here, but I didn't see anything in it saying when these should be done. I'm officially at 579 miles now. I haven't checked or changed anything on the bike... but I'm assuming it's time! Thanks.

You could wait until a 1,000 miles if you wanted. My buddy had an '03 600 that didnt get an oil change until 5,500 miles and it still ran like new.

There should be a chart in the manual 1st 800 next I believe is 4000 then 7500 I know for sure ,that is my next service.You are supposed to check the oil before every ride. I check mine evey week,along w/ tire pressure.The coolant resevoir(sp) youm can see behind the left fairing if the 06 is the same as the 05 you can just pull it out a tiny bit,no need for removing fairing.I didnt have to anyway.It hasd a rubber cork in it I just snuck a funnel in there and topped it off.I you service reg, you don't have to worry much unless you ride really hard. Mine was new and kind of low on coolant when I got her .I noticed on a preride check.Welcome back by the way:)

busa_full_right.jpg

Thanks.

I found the chart on page 7-4 in the manual.

Some of these things I don't know how to do. Since I'm paying this bike off by the month I am not going to treat the busa like I did my Katana (i never changed or checked anything). For scheduled maintenance, how much do dealers charge? Anyone know?

the first service should be in the 200$ range. they check all kind of stuff and adjust the chain and clean it. i had the dealer do the first just in case there is a warranty issue down the road.

Some of these things I don't know how to do. [/QUOTE]
Now's the time to start learning. Unless of course you have money to burn on dealer main. fees.
Most of it is all common sense (I tend to use that word loosly) stuff,and if you have a question on something you dont know how todo,well you know,ask here.
I keep all maintenance records/recipts/and dig. pics of the maintenance I do on my bike.

Good luck

Somebody told me the dealer charges you 240.00 to have the bike sit in their shop for 3 hours then they give it back to you. Sooo.... I will be doing maint myself.

I figure I can do the oil change with no trouble and other things... but I've never lubed a chain. I hope the manual has instructions.

Cleaning and lubing the chain is easy as is changing the oil.

Different members will have a different out look on this topic.

If you have the cash to take it to the dealer, go for it. But they are going to change the oil and lube the chain with the same directions we have in the manual.

Now you will find a technician that takes his time to look over the bike (like he should do) but they are far and few.

I've follow the chart in the manual and I have done all the work to my 01 with no problem.

My best advice is stick to the manual, when in doubt as the board, and if you still aren't sure take it to the dealer.

I'm sure others will agree when I say be careful tightening the oil drain plug. Easy to strip.

the first service should be in the 200$ range. they check all kind of stuff and adjust the chain and clean it. i had the dealer do the first just in case there is a warranty issue down the road.
The first raping! Do it your self keep a log book of what you do and keep all the receipts.

you could get away on a katana without chain maintenance/lubing the chain frequently, but with any high hp/tq bike, you won't have chains last long with poor maintenance.  these bikes eat chains the way it is. neglect maintenance and you may be telling a story about how your stock chain snapped at only 3k miles.

<!--EDIT|Mr. Anderson
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153272847 -->

Tomorrow night I'm going to get everything done. First, I'll actually call the dealer here to see what they'd charge. If I don't like what they say, I'll do it myself. Thanks.

And now will be the time to take off the reflectors, too!

<!--EDIT|PaNDeM1C
Reason for Edit: "ynot?"|1153281930 -->

Back