Alot of miles in so short of time

Sithor

Registered
I bought my '04 LE used with 3,655 miles on it. I did an oil change at 5,000 miles using Rotella 5w-40 synthetic. I now have 7,128 miles and was just curious on how often most people change their oil and will I be coming up on any major maintenance items? I was also wondering how often people change out brakes (rotors and pads) and fluids. (coolant, brake fluid, etc.) Thanks for any help.

I just changed the rear pads on my Busa, only after 16300 miles. I usually make a habit of changing the oil and filter every 3k miles. Do you have a repair manual? I'm trying my best to follow their recommended cycle.

It really matters on how hard I`m on the motor I usully change my at every 2000 miles but I really put it threw the ringer
tounge.gif

1600 Miles (2500 KM) is what I follow with most of my bikes... I do it at that Interval cause of the fuel quality in INDIA!! You might want to checkout what the manual says once
smile.gif

Yeah I read the manual, however my Navigator also says to change the oil every 5,000 miles but I don't listen to that. I usually do it more often than what the manufacturer says. I was just curious on how often other riders did it on the board.

No one has really answered my question on the front brakes though. So often do those need to be changed out?

I put 45,000 miles on my Busa in 2 1/2 years of riding. This was northeast riding so it equals about 15 months of actual ride time.
I would change the oil at 3000-4000 miles, lube the chain when warm at 1000 miles. Replace air filter every 10,000 miles. Change plugs once a year.
Replaced the back tire every 5000-7500 miles and front every 10,000 miles. The chain lasted me 40,000 miles.
Brake pads were changed at 20,000 miles in the front, the rear were orignal. Did not use the rear brake.
When I sold the bike the engie would not burn on drop of oil, no leaks at all of oil or coolant.
The bike would get 50mpg crusin down the x-way.
Spring of 2006 a new BUSA will be in hte garage.

I do it every 2000 miles because it so easy. Amsoil 10-40
I must have missed something, do you have to pull your fairing off to change your oil and filter?
My filter sucks to get too.

I do follow the maintenance guide lines, 500 for the chain, and 3000 for the oil but I have been using synthetic so I'm going to leave it in longer now.
I have just over 16,000 on my 04.
I have had to replace the rear brakes not sure why on that since I do not use them much at all. Checked the front and was about 1/2 down 3,000 miles ago so soon. Chain is gone just got my new one the other day. Went with the DID 530 ZVM2 chain, getting it installed today.

<!--EDIT|manatrader
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123481381 -->

No one has really answered my question on the front brakes though.  So often do those need to be changed out?
It all varies from rider to rider. Some are more aggresive on the front's than others. I'm coming close to the 16.5k and about 25% of the brakes left

i put about 10000kms (6250miles?) in 3 months back in Jul '03 -> Sept '03... And that's the last of the long term insurance runs for me
sad.gif
A day here and there insurance... Other priorities the past while has kept me from doing much riding since Sept '03. Can ya believe I still haven't cut that pooper scooper yet? It's been stored, started up, and short 3 minute rides all the time. Still only have 10100 km's on it or so.
sad.gif
sad.gif
Yup, that's why i don't have much to contribute but just read and live thru u guys... Hangin onto the busa by threads these days
biggrin.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

You change your brake pads when they are worn down.  Same with rotors, though I imagine it will take a looong time to wear your rotors to the point of needing replacement.  Your question is like asking when to put new tires on a bike.  Just look at them and replace them when they are worn out.

<!--EDIT|IScream
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123432950 -->

Here's a clip from the manual.

Regarding your front brakes, inspect every service interval and replace as needed as some have suggested.

Periodic_Maintenance.jpg

Change your oil every 3k with the Rotella-T 5w-40 syn. That is when it needs it. At least that has been my experience. The bike shifts a little different clutch feels a little different. That tells me something has changed. After the oil change everything feels like it should.

Back