1st maintenence service

memorex

Registered
I am just gettin ready to do my 600 mile maintenence. I was reading the owners manual, I noticed it doesn't have a scheduled 900 mile service like the dealer said I should have. Have they changed this?

Also, I would like some in put on what synthetic oil I should use.

I have an 05. The schedule is 600 and then 4000. That's what the dealer wanted to do. I let them screw me for $300 for the 600, and let a good shop do the 4000.

For about $900 my Zuke dealer would offer me a deal that anytime my bike would come in for service it would go to the front of the line. Back in 78 when I offered to pay extra to a private shop, the guy said he didn't think it would be fair to the rest of his customers. He did let me pay to have a mech work overtime on it (bunch of mods).

<!--EDIT|FAVahalik
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147287219 -->

I imagine they are goin to do what the manual says. check chain tension,check, for loose fastners, change oil and one or two more simple things. Thats why I am goin to do it. Now when it comes time to check valve clearence, thats when I'll let a pro shop do it. No way would I let the dealer mechanics do it. When I got my bike home the first day. I had several loose fastners. They told me just before I picked it up they went through the whole bike and checked for loose bolts and nuts. It was only a 3 mile ride.

Yeah I will probably do all of my Oil change ect...I am going to do it at 100 miles, 600 miles, and then again at 3000 and then normal matinence. I am going to use Mobil 1 oil. What weight? When I change the oil at 100 miles I am also going to drain the antifreeze and put in straight distilled and water wetter. and then for the winter storage put some antifreeze in there.

Hopefully I will get my bike here SOON!

The Manual says to use 10w-40. I just priced Moble synthetic. I was also reading on another web site. not to use synthetic until you've reached the 1500 mile mark. Becuase even though most of the break in is done. It still needs a few more miles to finish the job and synthetic is to slipery.

Yup I heard after your first 3000 mile oil change, change to synthetic. ( 100 mile (dino) 600 mile (dino) 3000 miles (syn))

Mobil One is by far the best. I mean why else would Vettes, Lightnings, Cobras, Vipers, ect...all use Mobil One.

Back