3rd gear wheelie

TapRackNGo

Registered
UPDATE: Its was second, I was just going a lot faster than I usually go in second gear. Wishful thinking on my part I guess. Second comes up real easy.

Greetings everyone,

This afternoon while trying to find a nice spot to ride, all blown out and road debris all over my favorate areas I decided to do a few wheelies on the way back home. While In 3rd gear around 8k rpms I blipped the throttle on and off and on again and bike came right up. I have not done anything except switch to 87 octane. I would like to get a Hindle pipe and a power commander someday but I prefer the quiet pipes for when I am messing around to keep a stealthy sound and not attract the cops. I was really suprised that the bike came up at all. Anyone else do this? No clutch just power and the right rpm's. Temp was about 70 degrees and windy, so I didn't do full on wheelies but enough to tell it would have stayed up if it wasn't a windy day.

Eventually I want to do a 520 conversion with 2 teeth added to the rear, pipe and power commander. Down the road upgrade the suspension and lighten the rotating mass.

<!--EDIT|TapRackNGo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149921964 -->

520 conversion isn't worth it, IMO. Not enough weight loss to make a significant difference, and from what I've read here, 520 chains snap easy with the power of the Busa.

Why would you put a smaller weaker chain on a 150+hp bike?
rock.gif

Son, the next investment for your busa should be a gear indicator? If you blipped the throttle and the front came up, you certainly weren't in third gear on a stock busa. It's difficult to get her up on throttle in second (Even for the professionals) and she just AIN'T coming up in Third. Third gear @ 8K turns would put you up around 100 mph and no stock busa is coming up at 100mph unless you hit a speed bumb
tounge.gif

I blipped the throttle on and off and on again and bike came right up.
Can you clarify what you mean by the blipping the throttle on and off again? Did you pull the clutch in without letting the throttle reduce and pop it out again or did you just twist off and on again with the throttle and no clutch.

If you were in 1st or 2nd, I could imagine some wheel raising. But you'd have to dump the clutch most likely. 8k in 3rd gear is what - 140mph?

Just trying to understand what actually happened...

rock.gif

it could happen....you didn't say if you had a passenger on the back....that'll do it!

or you could be a rather LARGE fellow...sitting way towards the rear with a heft yank.

other than that I'ld say you're trollin.

wink.gif

If you can lift up the front enough to call what's happening a wheelie, with stock gearing and engine, in 3rd gear, we're not driving the same bike.

Either you lifted the wheel only a few inches off the ground or you were actually in second gear, but no way you can pull a wheelie without the clutch in 3rd...

I get 3rd gear wheelies all the time when riding home from work. Of course, I hit the railroad crossing at just the right time and up she comes untill I back off or shift. As for flat ground, it ain't gonna happen on my busa!

I will have to take it out again and check. 2nd comes up all the time when on full gas, off for a sec and back full on with a small yank. But I am pretty sure it was 3rd. I do have the fastest color and my mirrors are off (only back road riding and have a bar end mirror. Maybe you guys just don't know how to wheelie:D

Back