3911 Miles, Thinking really hard about it

.:K19:.

Registered
sorry, was gonna try to get fancy with the map, just uploaded a screen pic.

I have afew friends along the way, never been to alaska, so might aswell attack this over the summer.. thoughts, concerns and/or comments

Alaska.jpg

Last edited:
How far have you ridden before, and how long are you going to allow yourself to do this?
That's a LONG trip!

There's a few guys here that could do it in about 4 days!:laugh:

looks like a fun trip.
I would adjust trip to include Beartooth Pass, Glacier Park, worth it. :cheerleader:

Beartooth Pass, North of Cody, Wyo
Galcier Park NW corner of Montana

How far have you ridden before, and how long are you going to allow yourself to do this?
That's a LONG trip!

There's a few guys here that could do it in about 4 days!:laugh:

Never really done anything other then a day trip, 6-7hrs in the saddle, but i was thinking about taking 3weeks of leave and planing on 5-6 days one way.. just taking my time and enjoying the view

I retire from the USAF in 3.5 years and will be riding from GA to Fairbanks AK through Montana, then back down the west coast through CA and then back over to GA. I routed it out one day and it was nearly 10K miles. I plan to do it over 30-45 days and just enjoy it. There are some books out there that teach you the "need to know" things about riding to AK. If you are serious about it, I could try and find them again and post the link.

I retire from the USAF in 3.5 years and will be riding from GA to Fairbanks AK through Montana, then back down the west coast through CA and then back over to GA. I routed it out one day and it was nearly 10K miles. I plan to do it over 30-45 days and just enjoy it. There are some books out there that teach you the "need to know" things about riding to AK. If you are serious about it, I could try and find them again and post the link.

WOW, thats a nice "little" trip you have planned there.. deff. a good way to take up some Terminal Leave. If you do have those links handy, i would love to browse them. I have afew really good friends all up and down the route that i have designed and a really good buddy up in Fairbanks that i would be going to see...

Im curious to hear your reasons for your trip..?

looks like a fun trip.
I would adjust trip to include Beartooth Pass, Glacier Park, worth it. :cheerleader:

I will have to look at my route and see if i can swing those into the plan if it dosnt add to much to the driving time. I am deff. open to guidence and places along the general route that would be good swing thru!

Have some friends up in Fe. Warren and Malmstrom AFB's that im sure i could crash with.

Well you have to, the guy on the link below just did it on his zx-14 :poke:

Sport-Touring.Net - Mission Alaska, It's my turn

WOW, thats a nice "little" trip you have planned there.. deff. a good way to take up some Terminal Leave. If you do have those links handy, i would love to browse them. I have afew really good friends all up and down the route that i have designed and a really good buddy up in Fairbanks that i would be going to see...

Im curious to hear your reasons for your trip..?

Terminal leave and motorcycles go very well together in my opinion. I will look tonight when I get home for those links and get them to you. They give first hand info from travelers of the roads to AK. They provide lodging and fuel info for the trip as well to make the planning a bit easier.

I used to live in Fairbanks at Eielson AFB when my father was active duty. Also, I love to take long trips on my bike and my wife likes to ride with me as well. I just plan to sight see the entire trip and enjoy the ride, not looking to iron butt the trip. So, what is my reason for going? Because I can and feel like it :)

You'll love it and in all honesty it isn't too much different from any other road trip except you get remote in a few places (I've made the trip three times, once on a VMax). Bring a tire repair kit and grab a copy of the Mile Post asap. Know what you will need to get through the boarders and HAVE FUN!!!! That will be your bible on the trip. I have found Canadians to be some of the nicest and helpful people around.
Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Rio

I retire in 2 more years, and I'm gonna make that trip. Except, I'm gonna take 3 months, and do it on my KLR. And taking 3 months, It's still almost 100 miles/day on average.

CW

looks like a fun trip.

I had never heard of this Glacier Park it looks absolutely spectacular :drool:

I got to find a way to get up there :please:

Back