Thinking about traveling 1335 miles on my Hayabusa!!

Leaving to do a 1800 mile round trip early in the morning. 740 out, hang out for a week, then 740 back. I'd take the Busa if I didn't mind burning through a set of tires, but it's mostly interstate and parkways and that just seems a waste. I'm opting to take my cruiser instead, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take the Busa if somebody else was buying tires. I'm gonna need a set next month for my trip to the Smokies, so that's out for me.

If you have the budget and the time, go for it. No better way to see the country than to smell it too. Things are more visceral from the saddle than in the cage. Little things form strong memories, and I am grateful to have the store I've accumulated from a lot of long-distance riding. Things like hauling the mail for miles of nothing and topping a hill to smell fried food 10 miles away and realizing you're hungry.

For me, it's simple: If you want more time at the destination, fly. If you'd prefer to spend a few days on the road as well, ride. Once you've made that choice, if you've decided to ride, heed the advice that's been posted up. Lot's of good stuff has been offered up.

My best piece of advice: Stay hydrated and fueled (fed) and stop whenever you're tired/stressed and get a full night's rest each night. Prior to the trip, ride regularly and far enough to build up your riding stamina.

Best of luck!

DO IT!!! You hit 80 mph speed limits just east of El Paso, and I cruised at 90 mph most of the way.

One warning if no one has told you yet: avoid riding through central Texas at night. The road is covered in roadkill deer and elk. I saw more deer than people once I got off the 10 outside of Junction. One of my buddies saw three elk get hit riding on the 10. There's a reason the night speed limit is 15mph less than daytime.

My uncle did a straight through drive from Denver to Central Illinois on the bike I have and it is completly stock and just had a tank back and a bag strapped on the back.

The girl I was gonna go see :(
Turned out to b a damn psycho

Wanted me to call her / text her every 30 seconds and wanted to know what I was doing / who I was with etc so I cancelled my trip !!!

I'm better off without her !!

Last AUG, I did the IBA SaddleSore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours or less) with 2 other guys. We filled up regardless of the low-fuel light coming on or not (chance to stretch, restroom, hydrate, gear check). Had a 2-hour lunch at the halfway point and then headed home.
SOME TIPS from that trip:
1. Only use gear that is already broken in (boots, gloves, helmet, etc.).
2. Highly recommend ANY cruise-control device (I used a $10 cramp buster bit)
3. Wipes to clean helmet shield
4. Tire plug kit
5. Wet weather gear
6. Charger for your phone
7. Route mapped in advance (with gas stations marked so that you can top off every 170 miles....sooner than later)
8. Get at least a tank bag. Full set is ideal but I managed with just a tank bag and a back pack
9. Your personal and emergency contact info visibly posted on your bike/person. (I wore my dog tags and taped my wife's info under the clear plastic of the tank bag) I also phoned on at every gas stop so she knew I was OK plus she had a copy of our trip route.
10. Call your credit card company in advance and inform them that you will be on aroad trip. My AMEX was flagged for possible fraud due to the numerous gas stops. Good thing I also had my VISA.
11. Something you can defend yourself with (if crossing state lines, know the laws)
12. Be safe and have fun.

I love it......Any radar detection used? If so what?

Back