24v system or ytz14s battery??

tarock

Registered
So I have owned my 02 hayabusa for a year now and still have the long/hard starts, and more so after it is hot. The bike has 33,000 miles, tre, pcIII, k&n filter, and BigRods shorty full hmf system.

I synced the tb's last fall (didnt need it), and have also ran some good efi cleaner in the bike for about 1,000 miles now. The bike runs perfect for the miles, however very weak on starts even when cold and more so hot. I hear that this can be an issue on pre-03 models.

Question is...do I go with tiger racings 24v system (I do plan in a few years to build the motor), or do I settle for a ytz14s battery.

If I get a new battery is the ytz14s the best...and must it be the $130 yuasa battery?

Thanks

No trickle charger. But like I said the battery usually does fine on first start. Its after I have drove the bike for a while it will give me problems.

The 14 should take care of it. I've got one in my 1397 w/ 12.8:1 slugs and hot its got no prob spinnin her right up.
Posted via Mobile Device

I use the 24v system. It has been a life saver and I don't worry about the starts. Just make sure the second batt is always charged. :thumbsup:

you should be fine with the 14s and a starter rebuild. If you do plan on upping the engine later on than it might not be a bad idea to swap in tigers 24v start now and be done with it.
Since you've got an 02 you should really think about the case saver sleeve. Even better would be to swap in >=03 busa starter clutch gears to be safe. Kickback can be a really bad thing if you don't upgrade or at least beef things up.

you should be fine with the 14s and a starter rebuild. If you do plan on upping the engine later on than it might not be a bad idea to swap in tigers 24v start now and be done with it.
Since you've got an 02 you should really think about the case saver sleeve. Even better would be to swap in >=03 busa starter clutch gears to be safe. Kickback can be a really bad thing if you don't upgrade or at least beef things up.

This post is 100%.

:thumbsup:

Leaving it on a battery tender when you are not riding is good too.

cheers
ken

So I went with a PB-2 battery from Schniz racing, which has over twice the starting amps as the stock yuasa. However I am still having the problem of it just cranking and not firing.

I just purchased a cam position sensor (they are cheap) and maybe that is my problem.

Next step is also working on the stator I guess. So as Commuta said...how do much work would replacing the stator clutch gear, or what is the best option to if my problem now lies with the stator?

Ok so after doing some searching I found both sleeve and starter clutch...but I am not seeing the gears. They also have heavy starter pins. I really enjoyed their service, so I wouldn't mind purchasing from them again if they have what I need.

the sleeve is very important and the pins as well. the starter clutch is the gear that has the issue. The idler gear isn't a big deal.

Back