220MPH Illumiglo & Yellow Box on '04 Busa

HiYaBruceA

Registered
I had the 220 mph Illumiglo faceplates and Yellowbox installed on my '04 Busa. On the OEM faceplate there was a pin that would stop the speedo needle at the old 186 mph limit, or thereabouts, when you started the engine and the speedo and tach needles did their cutesy sweep.

I noticed that now, even though the pin has been removed, the speedo needle sweep still stops at the same point when the engine is started. On the new 220 mph faceplate this is about 190 mph. Does this mean that this would be the maximum the speedo would register if I were ever to exceed 190?

And you plan on exceeding the 190 mph limit???
rock.gif
Just kidding! I'm not sure on this question, just thought I'd give you a hard time.

Yeah I hear ya! My question is somewhat academic, though if I get bored or crazy enough I might take it to the Salt Flats someday. But even if I do I guarantee you at that velocity I ain't looking down at no damn speedometer. I wonder what the top end is with my new BDE Hindle Gen3 Street Megaphone with PCIIIR, PAIR removed, airbox mod, and TRE?

Yeah I hear ya! My question is somewhat academic, though if I get bored or crazy enough I might take it to the Salt Flats someday. But even if I do I guarantee you at that velocity I ain't looking down at no damn speedometer. I wonder what the top end is with my new BDE Hindle Gen3 Street Megaphone with PCIIIR, PAIR removed, airbox mod, and TRE?
You will, at that speed the horizon is just a blur anyway, might as well glance at the speedo.

(This coming from an MSF instructor)

***Please don't try this at home***

I took mine up to indicated 175mph on the freeway, granted it was at 1:30 am with little to no traffic.

I noticed very little difference in feel from 120 to 175 ... maybe it's just me.

My R6 at 120 FELT faster than the Eye-Abusa at 175.

(This coming from an MSF instructor)

***Please don't try this at home***

I took mine up to indicated 175mph on the freeway, granted it was at 1:30 am with little to no traffic.

I noticed very little difference in feel from 120 to 175 ... maybe it's just me.

My R6 at 120 FELT faster than the Eye-Abusa at 175.
175 in the dark?
rock.gif
And my wife thinks I'm crazy.

<!--EDIT|Kevin Kesler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110412072 -->

It's the wind that gets me. Even with the double bubble it knocks me around pretty good.

I believe that the speedo will not travel any further than its original sweep. It doesn't know the bike is really going any faster, the yellow box makes the computer think the bike isn't going as fast as it really is, why would the speedo know different?

The yellow box or speedohealer tells the pc that the bike is in 5th gear....this is how the busa is set up. Restriction of top speed comes from the bike being in 6th gear not like the ZX12-R which is the speedo itself. It should go past that spot.

Get a Sportvue HUD. Then it won't matter what your speedo reads. The HUD takes it from the rear wheel (and you don't have to look down to read it).
biggrin.gif

The yellow box or speedohealer tells the pc that the bike is in 5th gear....this is how the busa is set up.  Restriction of top speed comes from the bike being in 6th gear not like the ZX12-R which is the speedo itself.  It should go past that spot.
Yellow box and speedohealers correct your speedo indication.

TRE tells the pc that the bike is in 5th gear so you don't get the 186mph restriction.

I've never heard of yellow boxes or speedohealers unrestricting busas.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110490242 -->

Thanks Charlesbusa, for re-clarifying the air. I have a bad feeling that even with the 220 mph speedo and a YellowBox recalibration, the damn speedo needle is still going to stop at the same physical location as it did w/185mph guages, which is at approximately the 5:00 o'clock position.

Has anyone installed the 220 mph gauges and a re-calibrator and has seen the speedo needle exceed the original 185 mph position, and lived to talk about it?

The yellow box or speedohealer tells the pc that the bike is in 5th gear....this is how the busa is set up.  Restriction of top speed comes from the bike being in 6th gear not like the ZX12-R which is the speedo itself.  It should go past that spot.
Yellow box and speedohealers correct your speedo indication.

TRE tells the pc that the bike is in 5th gear so you don't get the 186mph restriction.

I've never heard of yellow boxes or speedohealers unrestricting busas.
Yes sir! Had my facts mixed up. I meant the TRE not the speedohealer or YB. Sorry guys!

I just opened a thread about this one. Sorry, I should have looked first. My 220 guage reads 190 at an actual (at least by the dyno) speed of 177mph. The speed is pretty close to accurate at 40 on up to about 70. I checked this with a GPS. I can't even remember to look at the tach when I'm WFO. Bottom line, the guages read progressively optimistic as you get further into the triple digits. At redline is 6th, I get the 190 reading. This means that I can't wrap the needle far enough to answer your question. My guess is don't worry about the needle stopping. The original gauge tops somewhere past 200 on your new 220's. With this setup, if you actually do get to 200mph, it should be more than pegged. Let me know if you pull that off. <grin> (My smileys won't work)

Back