2021 Pashnit Touring on a Hayabusa

At the base of the range as soon as you reach Ojai is The Deer Lodge, a famous biker bar said to be the oldest tavern and restaurant in Ojai dating to 1932. The Deer Lodge started as a gas station and grocery store, but by and large, it’s a biker destination with a cadre of bikes parked out front every time we've been there.

DSC02297.JPG

DSC02298.JPG

DSC02300.JPG

Santa Barbara: Where Wealth is determined by the Size of your Gate.

The objective is to ride from Ojai to Solvang and the best way to do that is via Highway 150 & Highway 192. This route is a twisty combination of semi-residential streets all glued together thorough Santa Barbara along the base of the Santa Ynez Mountain Range. It’s actually a rather enjoyable ride and the prefect shortcut through a major residential area, albeit circuitous.

As we rode over San Marcos Pass, I had the sudden urge to ride East Camino Cielo, a road that flows along the spine of the Santa Ynez Motorcycle Range. It's been years since I've taken that route. Way back in 2006... The views were amazing of Santa Barbara and the coastal fog when I stumbled onto this mountain road while crossing roads off the map.

Rode that one, Rode that one, oooh, that looks interesting, wonder where that goes....

<cue time machine music>

Back in 2006...
IMG_2690.jpg

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2730.jpg

But I promised the guys we’d go to the vintage motorcycle museum, maybe we’ll ride East Camino Cielo over La Cumbre Peak next year.

DSC02316.JPG

DSC02317.JPG

Our trek today all leads to the vintage motorcycle museum in Solvang. We’ve been there several times over the years. Does this place ever get old? Nope. Plus, I could stare at a Britten all day. Only 10 Brittens were ever produced, and the Solvang Vintage Motorcycle Museum has one.

To this day, I can still remember when my June 1992 copy of Cycle World Magazine arrived with the Britten on the cover.

Summer of ’92, I was living on a Marine Corps base on the East Coast and dreamt of seeing this bike for real. 30 years later, it’s right there in front of me. Pure Art!

Britten-Cycle World.JPG

Only 10 Brittens were ever built.
Most are in museums around the world.

Britten-2.JPG

Back