2012 Busa: Gen II, Gen III or discontinued?

Suzuki unveiled its new 2011 lineup with what appears to be fairly improved GSXR 600, 750 & 1000 compared to previous year (although I am not familiar with those models so I could be wrong).

On the other end, the 2011 Hayabusa only gets new colors, with no major improvements since the Gen II introduction in 2008.

The 2011 GSXR1000 is now up to 197hp, up to the level of the current Gen II Hayabusa.

Motorcycle sales seem to have not been that great for the past few years, and insurance premiums for big bike like Hayabusa are way up (at least here in Canada, is it the same in the US?), which makes those big bikes not so popular anymore.

So with all this in mind, what do you think will happen for the Hayabusa in 2012 ?

1) Will Suzuki keep poducing the GenII with no major improvements (I doubt this would be a good strategy as it has been for sale for 4 years now)?

2) Will Suzuki bump up the power (of either the Gen II or a new Gen III) to give it more hp than the current GSXR1000 (I would certainly prefer this option)?

3) Is Suzuki preparing to discontinue the Hayabusa for lack of sales of big bikes, their latest GSXR1000 with its 197hp now being powerful enough to fill the void?

I know it will only be speculation until Sept-Oct of 2011 (unless someone has privileged information), but I'm still curious to read what anyone think is going to happen...
Number 1. Suzuki won't be giving the busa any more power, the US regs are getting too strict. But then no bikes coming into the US will be getting any more hp...in fact they will probably be getting less :whistle: But the busa won't need any more power, its fast as heck already, and sells just fine. They'll just fine tune it here and there and change the looks up to keep it fresh. Its not going anywhere :laugh: Its an awesome bike as is, with a jewel of a motor that nothing else in the motorcycle world can match for all around power and driveability. There's way more to riding than peak hp numbers on a sheet of paper, if thats your concern, then maybe a busa isn't for you :dunno:
And just to add, in case you didn't understand, the busa and gsxr1000 are in 2 totally seperate classes, and meant for 2 totally different types of buyers :whistle:

Last edited:
genII is fine, only thing I would of changed is the damm plastic's on how much of a pain in the butt they are to remove, wish it was as easy as my 2007 was

but it is still beautiful

DSC00104.JPG

The BUSAs, whether Gen I or II are instant classics. So-ooo no need to worry about the Jones that may think they're nipping on the Boss' heels with claimed horsepower only. They are what they are and will never be BUSAs. BUSA IS KING:bowdown:

Viking Rider

With the down economy, there is a lot of talk about abandoning the 2 year cycle for sport bikes.

They might all go to 4 years... the new R1 came out in 2009. It's the same for 2011.

It's all about torque. The lesser GSXR's have to be wound to the moon to launch (even the 1K to an extent) where as the busa just has the down low grunt. I ride mainly on the street so torque is what sells bikes to me....

i would like to see some more factory options. cruze control, hard bags, music, heated grips and seat, true traction control, abs, longer swingarms, wider swingarms,exct. mind you their just options.
maybe a st model, drag model, and street model. hay it worked with the sportster:laugh:

:poke: be nice to have a true 200hp.
:laugh: but insurance would probably be even more outrageous.:whistle:

Doesn't matter much to me, I ride a sportbike with quite the legacy.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think the busa is going anywhere as it pretty much as a monster subculture and is a big part of suzuki. The liter bikes are all great and stuff but they are the size of a dirtbike and designed for 160lb riders. If at anytime you want more power or if the 200Hp liter bikes bother you then you can always slap a turbo on it and tell the others to suck it

I think we may be overlooking the new "financial realities". What would VolksWagon want Suzuki to do? I do not know the correct reply; but, I do know I like my Busa so much it will have to be spectacular to get me to pull out the checkbook.

Suzuki unveiled its new 2011 lineup with what appears to be fairly improved GSXR 600, 750 & 1000 compared to previous year (although I am not familiar with those models so I could be wrong).

On the other end, the 2011 Hayabusa only gets new colors, with no major improvements since the Gen II introduction in 2008.

The 2011 GSXR1000 is now up to 197hp, up to the level of the current Gen II Hayabusa.

Motorcycle sales seem to have not been that great for the past few years, and insurance premiums for big bike like Hayabusa are way up (at least here in Canada, is it the same in the US?), which makes those big bikes not so popular anymore.

So with all this in mind, what do you think will happen for the Hayabusa in 2012 ?

1) Will Suzuki keep poducing the GenII with no major improvements (I doubt this would be a good strategy as it has been for sale for 4 years now)?

2) Will Suzuki bump up the power (of either the Gen II or a new Gen III) to give it more hp than the current GSXR1000 (I would certainly prefer this option)?

3) Is Suzuki preparing to discontinue the Hayabusa for lack of sales of big bikes, their latest GSXR1000 with its 197hp now being powerful enough to fill the void?

I know it will only be speculation until Sept-Oct of 2011 (unless someone has privileged information), but I'm still curious to read what anyone think is going to happen...

Where is this new 1000 you speak of?

They haven't updated anything on it, only the 600/750 for 2011...

good points and don't forget what lighter wheels can do when you lower your "spun" weight, it's like adding hp too because the engine can do more with what it has. I'm about to get my Marchesini billet aluminum rims with Akra full system exhaust and dyno tuned with a PC5. That's one reason dirt bikes perform so well with their lightweight spoke wheels. One thing about it, if you want to sink money into a bike for performance, look no further than a busa. It was a Hayabusa based bike that broke 311 mph (on you tube), it had carbon fiber wheels, though not ideal for the street.

I um...I think the main questions asked in this thread have been answered in the three years since it was started.

Very true, being that I just bought a brand new 2011 off the show room floor and it is July 2013, SMH!! I could not pass up this deal at all! Factory 2 year warranty instead of a 1 year warranty. What a bargin!

Only difference in 3 years is what Kawi did with their ZX1400R. It would be nice to see Suzuki step up to the plate and regain its throne at the top again. I will trade in or sell my Gen II for a Gen III if Suzuki does to the Hayabusa what Kawi did to their ZX1400R. I love my bike as it is modded now but I would do it all over again will a killer Gen III platform if and when Suzuki decides to upgrade for real.

Back