2011 And Up No Clutch Shifting

Tb3

Registered
I've done searches, but most of them are old dealing with this subject. I remember watching a YouTube video before I bought my bike of a guy going on and on about how suzuki screwed up the transmissions on the 2011 and up busas.
I haven't done any clutches shifting on my bike yet, but was curious if it would hurt it....much, lol! I don't intend to clutchless shift much, but sometimes when I need to get fast quick, it's easier to just hold on hard to the bars , watch the road, and shift.
Anybody with a 2011 and up busa have much Trans trouble after shifting clutch less?

if you back of the throttle it will shift every time with harming anything. If you want to shift without backing off the throttle buy a quickshifter

Last edited:
I have a 2012 and rarely use the clutch up shifting. Just load the shifter let off the throttle a bit and get back in it. Wish I could say I do it to be faster, but truth is I am just to lazy to grab the clutch.

for everyday riding why not use the clutch its there for a reason. Its second nature for me to just pull in the clutch. I have never had to replace clutches on any bike that i have owned. I would rather use the clutch then to have to pull the motor and split the case to fix clutch parts.
This topic is debatable and will go on and on. I have done it a few times on my 6oo but i'm like hey no big deal i shifted without pulling in the clutch.

You don't have to split the cases to change clutch parts. Transmission ... yes. Actually pulling the clutch just breaks the torque on the driveline as does rocking the throttle. It doesn't hurt the trans at all to clutchless shift if you do it right. When I used to street ride I generally used the clutch to make the 1-2 shift because it is a long throw and the foot motion can be lazy but the rest of the upshifts I rarely used the clutch. The Gen-2 Busa transmission is pretty bullet-proof.

You don't have to split the cases to change clutch parts. Transmission ... yes. Actually pulling the clutch just breaks the torque on the driveline as does rocking the throttle. It doesn't hurt the trans at all to clutchless shift if you do it right. When I used to street ride I generally used the clutch to make the 1-2 shift because it is a long throw and the foot motion can be lazy but the rest of the upshifts I rarely used the clutch. The Gen-2 Busa transmission is pretty bullet-proof.
Correct. Doing it wrong will cost you. Hey but what do i know im a guy that doesn't mind pulling the clutch in. Guess it depends on riding style.

Hi guys,
I noticed that if you just have a little pressure on the shifter and you hit a bump without realizing She just slips in the next gear.
Its so easy to shift my 2013 without a clutch i do it all the time. It makes holding on tighter easier with doing stong pulls too.

Awesome info guys! Thank you!
Ham, I will definitely use my clutch 99% of the time, I just want to be able hold on tighter with all fingers when those times come when I need to lay into it.

Sgj34, good to know, I will just roll off the throttle then. Maybe a quick shifter one day.

Thanks good to know!
Y'know...this may sound silly, but I would think hand clutches on motorcycles would be one of those things that would have gone away a decade or 2 ago.
I remember I brought this up on a cruiser forum along time ago and was laughed at for days, lol.
Guys where posting pics of honda matics and what not.

48 thousand miles on a 13 year old busa, rarely use the clutch upshifting and half the time I downshift without the clutch.
Never replaced the clutch plates, second gear is as positive as when it was new.

Guess I'm just lucky!

cheers
ken

Awesome info guys! Thank you!
Ham, I will definitely use my clutch 99% of the time, I just want to be able hold on tighter with all fingers when those times come when I need to lay into it.

Sgj34, good to know, I will just roll off the throttle then. Maybe a quick shifter one day.
Understandable, be safe. I thought about a quick shifter also. But i know i wouldn't use it much.

Rode the busa first time today for over a week. Practiced a couple clutchless up shifts. Looks like it's not going to let me up clutchless upshift anyway unless I roll back the throttle quite a bit, which is fine. Maybe next year I'll install a quickshift, I'm in no hurry. Thanks again everyone!

I am clutch-less shifting on the highways only and using the clutch in town. Haven't had any problems. 2011 45K miles; daily rider

Back