Shifting without the clutch.

I clutchles up shift all the time. This bike is the only bike I've ever had that I could clutchless down shift. I don't do it often but I have done it and it dosen't fell natural to me.

Up and down, the key as the others have said is chopping the throttle to unload the transmission. On the up shift if you preload the shifter you'll find that it'll slip right into the next gear when you chop the throttle. Down shifting is a little tricky, ya gotta blip the throttle to give the trans that moment of unload to shift in.

Play with it a little, you'll get a feel for what works and what doesn't. The trany is pretty tough but don't get crazy and try to jam it. Like I said it'll slip right in if you're doing it right.

i shift up and down without the clutch most of the time except between 1st and 2nd...like others have said, it just slips in if you do it right :beerchug:

I do it both ways on my busa and my girlfriends Can AM Spider. It is very easy to do and really works well

I go clutch less up only (2nd-6th) from 3500RPM and more - 1st-2nd with clutch. Everything below 3500RPM with clutch. Clutch less shifting works great when you’re hard on throttle (high RPM) from 2nd gear up. At low RPM you might get fake neutral which isn’t good thing. I preload next gear (little pressure) and then when RPM is correct I shut throttle for a sec or less just to unload transmission. This way next gear smoothly pops in.

I'll admit, I'm chicken to do it. I can't pay for any damage I might do to the trans. I would be the one in a hundred that messes it up. For example, ever try to fix a hot water heater leak by just turning the connection a tad? Well, you know it starts really leaking then! :) Had to call a plumber! Sure dont want to call the dealer.....

:poke: all air and electric shifter do it without the aid of the clutch, they just cut ignition for a couple 1 thousandths of a second change gear then turn it back on, thats why you here so many bikes backfiring at the drag strip

I do it all the time.

Yep me too, only use the clutch to pull off most of the time. But then i drive the car the same way too, dont use the clutch on that most of the time. Being a Truck driver you get use to engine revs and can do it as a second nature.

I seam to have a problem changing to second when i USE the clutch, i some times get a false netural..

ups fine, down's tricky but doable. wouldnt recommend down though. But if you wana try make sure you watch your speed, your wheel could lock it could bring you down. I upshift especially when cruising long distance and would be stretching back for a bit riding with throttle arm.

I just recently got my busa. I am shifting it up and down w/o clutch. All seems well. I did the same on my KZ1100 for ten years with no problems. Besides it just sounds/feels cooler.

Back