Lock up clutch. Shifting ??

DStroyer

Registered
I just installed a Lockup clutch in my busa. Im still assembling the machine, so I wont be running it until this weekend. Just wondering if anyone has experienced any problems shifting with this installed? Specifically, Im curious about running down a drag strip at WOT, pulling in the clutch to hit another gear. Have you found the clutch to be extremely hard to pull? Ive never ran a lockup before. I completely understand the concept, but Im cant imagine the clutch would work properly under those conditions. I bet the combo of a lockup and air shifter are great together though.
What are your thoughts???

Gary
p.s. By the way, my motor is in an atv frame, and our drag races are 300 foot in the sand, so I am running 4 washers on each bolt along with 2 spring tension spacers on each spring boss. This may seem like alot, but I need it to lock as quickly as possible.
Thanks

Never used a lockup so I don't know the answer to that specific question.

However, I would use a dynojet quick shifter to make the shift or an air shifter with a kill feature. Then you don't have to worry about the clutch! Keep it locked!

you can shift the motor without the clutch ;)
yes its very hard to pull in the clutch
just let off the throttle and pull up on the shifter and then give it throttle again (all in a smooth quick motion)
it works very well, i have been doing it for many many years

Thanks for the quick response guys!!!

Im not sure I even need the lockup. Last year, I had terrible problems keeping the clutch from slipping. I ordered the lockup, but didnt install it. Right after I got it, I realized I was stacking the plates improperly. There are 2 different thickneses of steels, and they were supposed to be in the center. After changing my stack to 3 thicker steels in the center, (instead of 2), I didnt feel the clutch slipping like usual. (when it slipped, the bike nose dived, yes it was that bad). Im not sure if that really had anything to do with it slipping, so it may go on me anytime. Thats why I added the lockup.
Although Ive never intentionally power shifted, Im sure Ive done it a billion times. Im quite certain I only half clutch, if even when racing.

Gary

If you are pulling the clutch or "fanning" the clutch when you are shifting, thats probably why its slipping anyway......Never use the clutch when upshifting(when racing anyway), just back off the throttle quickly to unload the tranny and pull up the shifter....Same thing an air shifter does but instead of killing the spark, you are killing the fuel..

You can enable the quickshifer feature. Depending on how you are shifting pushing button will enable a kill. So if you are hand shifing with a lever use a button on the lever. preload the lever slightly before the shift then bump the button as you are pulling it back.

Pretty easy to do (and cheap), you can convert(re-pin) the 9volt programming adapter to connect to it. A software app enables it.  The linkage sensor that is out there is even better. It will sense the movement as you pull the lever back and make the kill. But more $$

Back