2008 Brake bleeding issue

CalgaryBusa

Registered
Hey Folks,

So I installed new SS lines on the front of my 08 last night and for what ever reason I can not get any pressure to build up in the brake lever what so ever. Every time I crack one of the bleeders there is just a dribble of fluid that comes out and when the bleeder is closed and I pump the lever again,
still no pressure. Are the Gen 2's brakes any different then the Gen 1? I don't recall my Gen 1 having this issue when trying to bleed them.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

CB

I just swapped mine out yesterday as well. I was having the same issue, but I just filled up the reservoir, then let it sit there and watched the air bubbles come out, then i squeezed the brake all the way down, tightened the valve, released the brake, then repeated this four to five times. Pressure built up and everything was good to go. Just be patient, and keep doing the steps I mentioned, that should solve your problem. Just remember when you squeeze the brake, dont let go until the valve is tightened up, then loosen it again, squeeze, tighten. You should build pressure after that and shouldnt have any air in the line.

pull lever in, zip tie to grip and leave overnight. check the next day and all trapped air in the lines should be gone..

I just did this last week and had the exact same issue. Finally I cracked open the banjo fitting right at the master and bled it there. All kiiiiiinds of air came out, and I was good to go from there.

1st - Start cracking the banjo bolts at the master cylinder - the ones by where your right ankle is
After ALL the air is out
2nd - Crack the banjo bolts at the rear brake or front brake.

They should build up pressure after all the air is out. If it doesn't redo things in this specific order.

Hope this helps!

1st - Start cracking the banjo bolts at the master cylinder - the ones by where your right ankle is
After ALL the air is out
2nd - Crack the banjo bolts at the rear brake or front brake.

They should build up pressure after all the air is out. If it doesn't redo things in this specific order.

Hope this helps!

oh and make sure your banjo bolts are tight too so you dont keep adding air to the system as you pump

Hey Folks,

So I installed new SS lines on the front of my 08 last night and for what ever reason I can not get any pressure to build up in the brake lever what so ever. Every time I crack one of the bleeders there is just a dribble of fluid that comes out and when the bleeder is closed and I pump the lever again,
still no pressure. Are the Gen 2's brakes any different then the Gen 1? I don't recall my Gen 1 having this issue when trying to bleed them.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

CB

I may be reading this wrong, but it sounds like your pumping your brakes after you close the bleeder?

-open bleeder
-pull brake lever
-keep brake lever pulled while closing bleeder
-release brake
-repeat

I may be reading this wrong, but it sounds like your pumping your brakes after you close the bleeder?

-open bleeder
-pull brake lever
-keep brake lever pulled while closing bleeder
-release brake
-repeat

Seriously??

Pump lever several times and hold..... Open bleeder til lever bottoms out... Continue to hold lever until bleeder is tight.... repeat until no air escapes from bleeder when opened.. Do not open the bleeders on the calipers without pressure on them. That would let air into the system.

You could fill the resivoir and slightly open a bleeder over night with the lever pulled all the way in as suggested to fill the system with fluid but this will not get all the air out of the system. The only way to get the air out completely is under pressure

Thank you all for the responses!

So what ended up doing is cracking both bleeders, hooked up a hose to each caliper and put them into containers. I topped up the master cylinder and went inside for about 20 mins. (I did not strap down the lever to the handle bar) When I came back out the master cylinder was almost empty. The Theory of Gravity did its job and both calipers had a steady flow of fluid dripping from them. I tightened up the bleeders and bled the system as normal. It took about 15 minutes to bleed the brakes and get all the air from the system.

The lever feels nice and firm, I will give them a try tomorrow after work. :woot:

CB

It takes a while to get the master cylinder to fill up before the lever will start working when you completely drain the Master Cylinder, unless you use a mity vac or let it sit awhile for gravity to do it's work.

Back