2008 1st gear question?

SLO MO

Registered
Searched and couldn't find anything, I'll do my best to paint the picture, while in first with the clutch fully engaged I just happened to be pushing the bike and noticed what feels like something is stopping the movement of the rear wheel, link a tight spot or something in the chain, I get it to the point in the rotation where I feel the resistance and check the chain and it's still the recommended play, I don't see anything on the sprockets, so I start it up and even when rolling slow in gear clutch out I can feel the hesitation when it gets to the point in the revolution where the resistance is. My buddy has an 08 similar millage 8,500 - 9,000 that does the same thing, is this normal and I just noticed
or what?

9K miles
Chain in spec always cleaned and lubed
All stock bike
No drag, or hard launches
followed manually for break in and service
All Suzuki recommended fluids
Corsa III, 1000 miles on them no weights missing, balanced and proper PSI (air)
Only in first gear from what I can tell

When you loosen the chain all the way and move the tire by hand do you have any links that don't bend? If so that is probably the problem and time for a new chain. :beerchug:

Mine does the same thing and I just thought it was the engine compression as mine did it after the first time I tightend the chain with only 500 miles on her at least that's when I took to noticing it. My ZZR never did it, but it was a different bike.

Sometimes I notice my bike is all but impossible to push with clutch in and in gear no matter the gear ?
Not sure why and it is very rare when it happens but when it does I pull in clutch and go to push it and almost rack myself cuz I get so much surprise resistance.
Start it up and its fine, doesnt lurch forward or anything, was just a pain to move is all.

Asuming it rolls freely in neutral and the clutch lever w/adjustment is getting pulled in all the way: if you remove all of the clutch's you will likely find some of the steel plates that have warped and will not move up & down the clutch hub freely. I have found this to be a problem with steels at the outer most and sometimes inner most of the stack. The steels can remain flat and will warp egg shape. It's really a easy fix and easy to check by sliding all the clutch pieces up & down the clutch hub to see what's hanging up. sound's like a good time to get in there and check all the clutch pieces. Basically when you're pulling in the clutch, not all of the frictions and steels are separating from each other.

!

Asuming it rolls freely in neutral and the clutch lever w/adjustment is getting pulled in all the way: if you remove all of the clutch's you will likely find some of the steel plates that have warped and will not move up & down the clutch hub freely. I have found this to be a problem with steels at the outer most and sometimes inner most of the stack. The steels can remain flat and will warp egg shape. It's really a easy fix and easy to check by sliding all the clutch pieces up & down the clutch hub to see what's hanging up. sound's like a good time to get in there and check all the clutch pieces. Basically when you're pulling in the clutch, not all of the frictions and steels are separating from each other.

I replaced the plates on my 500 Triple many moons ago, and did notice the difference in the steel to fab, and was not savvy enough to realize the effect at that time.
I now know why, I had slip and no slip at certain places when rotating the back end. I always attributed it to chain slack and tension.
Thanks, Just got a 20 year old lessen. 19 years too late. :laugh:
Bubba

Will check this out, thx

Sometimes I notice my bike is all but impossible to push with clutch in and in gear no matter the gear ?
Not sure why and it is very rare when it happens but when it does I pull in clutch and go to push it and almost rack myself cuz I get so much surprise resistance.
Start it up and its fine, doesnt lurch forward or anything, was just a pain to move is all.

Same situation with mine and this other guy I know.

same here. I have over 22,000km on mine. no biggy. shift into neutral when moving the bike. it loosens up after being run. cheers.

Depends on whether she's cold or warmed up. Every bike I've ever had is a b!t@# to move while engaging the clutch when it's been sitting for any length of time. What happens if you shift it to N and try?

Depends on whether she's cold or warmed up. Every bike I've ever had is a b!t@# to move while engaging the clutch when it's been sitting for any length of time. What happens if you shift it to N and try?

just first gear pushing it and the clutch is fully squeezed, while ridding with the clutch out in 1st I can feel it as well, another bike same year same mile range does the exact same thing question was is this normal with gen II.

Back