2005 making clanking noises and other issues

mysql

Registered
1. When taking off or riding slowly I have been hearing some clanking sounds. It's almost like the chain of the bike is hitting something. The bike is new to me, so I don't know what sounds are normal and what aren't. I can't see anything while riding, and when I'm stopped the bike is obviously not going to be making noise.

2. The bike seems to get pretty hot pretty quickly in stop and go traffic. My SV had a coolant gauge, so I was surprised to see my gen1 doesn't have it. Not sure if I should be worried. Anyone run redline water weter type products?

3. fuel mpg meter is saying I'm getting 31 mpg. Seems low. I've been gunning it when I can, but most of the trips I take are nothing crazy. My SV650S would be getting 45 mpg in similar riding. Normal?

31 is fairly normal, you DO have a temp guage, check the play in your chain. should only have 1 inch of play in the center.

You chain may be too loose... typically, the clanking sound comes when the chain bounces off the front sprocket... check and see how much play is there...

the bottom of the chain can hit the top of the swingarm..

where is the temp gauge? I don't mean the analog one, was looking for something with real temp numbers on it. My SV will say "215F" when I'm sitting in traffic, for example.

before we start diagnosing the chain as the main problem, which it may very well be, have you noticed any other erratic behavior in the acceleration (mainly when shifting into 2nd gear?)

I can't say that I notice anything odd going from 1-2. I can't shift it as smoothly as I'd like, but I think that's because I've only ridden the bike for a few hours so far.

This might also be completely normal, but the "carrier" thing that the rear sprocket attaches to, moves around in the rear wheel assembly. It moves about 2mm side to side. I made a video, but it's not easy to see in it. At this point I'm just grasping at straws.

- IMG 1226[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
That movement is normal for the rubber cush drive.
How many miles on bike? Your chain may be at an inch play , but have u put the bike on a rear stand and checked at many intervals? Could have a tight spot in the chain. That would make your sound. You can usually feel it in the foot pegs. Clean and lube your chain and see if that helps.

+1 on the rubber cush drive. Mine was replaced long before the schedule said it was due and that "clunk" disappeared completely.

The other issues are common as well.

As to the indicated MPG. I went thru the same thing. The best advice I was given and that worked is the same I will give you here.

Take it out on the interstate. Find the speed you will run at as a general rule. Stay at that speed and RPM, reset the mileage indicator to zero and watch her over a tank at that speed. You'd be surprised at how little we pay attention to our driving habits. I got 50 MPG at steady speed and RPM.

Twist that wrist and get 31MPG in no time.....LOL

Last edited:
11,000 miles on the bike.

I just sprayed the crap out of everything with WD40, then cleaned up the WD40 with simple green, then washed the bike. I then cleaned and waxed the chain and took her out for a ride.

No more clanking noise .. I didn't even adjust the chain yet.

I made a video of the short ride, everything seems to sound normal now. So I'm guessing the chain was sticky or something.

- video[/url]

I also found that the fuel economy does down QUICKLY if I use the throttle. Slow and steady and it went to 40 mpg on a short trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back