2004 Power Issue-Need Help

triguy075

Registered
Hi, the power in my 04 trails off higher in the power band. Above 6k RPMs, in the power band, under load, the power just trails off. It doesn't sputter, or cough, it just dies off and stops gaining RPM's. The bike has almost 59000 miles on it and has ran flawlessly since day one.

Some key points:
I am the original owner.
I never abuse the bike. I have never done a wheelie, burnout and I have never hit redline (strange, I know).
I have the valves checked every year but they have only needed adjusted once after the first year.
I have used Amsoil oil for about 6 years.
The same experienced mechanic has worked on the bike since new in 04.
Other than a pipe and remapping, no other engine affecting mods have been done.

I really could use the opinion of the experience on this forum. I hope it is something simple like plugs or bad gas and not an engine or compression problem. Any help or opinion will be appreciated.

Jeff

Its 100% your fuel filter,my 2004 did same thing and after new filter WOW did she go...they are expensive,$280 or so,there are some ways around it by drilling holes and running an inline filter but thats your choice...i chose a new filter

This is what mine looked like when i cut filter open,the filters are paper and thin
image_zps96203327.jpg

Its 100% your fuel filter,my 2004 did same thing and after new filter WOW did she go...they are expensive,$280 or so,there are some ways around it by drilling holes and running an inline filter but thats your choice...i chose a new filter

Thanks West,
You are correct. My mechanic said it was either the filter or the pump. We are going try the filter first and see what happens. Thanks a lot for your response and photos.

Back