03 loss of power??? Please help

03busa40th

Registered
For starters I would introduce myself but I have been a member for a long time but I guess my account info expired so this is a new
account.

Now for the problem. I have an 03 with 29k on it. Never had any type
of prob w it so far. Mods are: pair
removed, two bros slipons, big air
boxs mod, TRE, vortex sprokets( stock
tooth count) , new plugs NGK.
Those are the only ones I can
see that would matter.

I wrapped the slipons from where they bolt to the stock exhaust down by the kickstand area to where they bolt onto the actual mufflers. You may
wonder why? Well bc the bike is alll black
and I wanted
to reduce heat near the rearsets and the wrap is
black to match. Looks great. Well I wrapped It yesterday and
first ride was today, ran perfect for until it reached operating temp. Then it had a noticeable loss in power..... When I accel and
snap off the throttle it doesn't engine brake very well at all like it always has.
And a loss in power upon accel. My guess is that bc it's a stock header and I
only wrapped the rear of the exhaust, it's retaining heat and causing a loss of power. But I could be wrong.....

Never have rode the bike hard, few
track days etc. But I don't beat it up by any means always on time oil changed no trans probs. Clutch doesn't slip. It set up to corner lifted etc

Hope you guys can help out. I think tommorow after work I'll take
it for another ride and see if the power is normal until it heats up.... I may have to just wrap the whole exhaust or just take the wrap off idk. Any advise or help would help a lot.
Typed this on my iPhone so dnt be too hard on me lol

all miles are mine btw. I'll post pics soon just fr
fun.

Well, got home from work and it was raining, didn't
didn't feel like riding in it but I
did start the bike. It ran perfect and felt like normal and
crisp on revving. It was much more sluggish to
rev and felt dull yesterday riding.

Someone at work today said that the header wrap may be causing the cyl head to retain heat, which makes sense from the hotter exhaust gas temps and hotter header due to the retained heat of the rear exhaust.

Any thoughts guys? Hello? Is this thing on? Lol

Great question, and super helpful input. I ment small air
box mod and no. Did it about two years ago hence me
forgetting the name of it.

Thanks

I'll have to do one tommorow I guess. Butnit happened right when it got
to operating temp... I would think bad compression would get better when it gets warm. I'll knownmore tommorow.

Woooo!!! I just finished cutting my carbon two bros down to shorty size and repacking them they look awesome and saved about 12lbs! While I was removing the exhaust I notices that one exhaust clamp had came loose after I re installed the exhaust afterte wrap. Well I tightened it back up and guess what? Runs like a top again and has short carbon cans just like i've always wanted! Hah

guess we can chalk this one up to me being a complete moron.

Thanks fr the help guys.

Exhaust work better/more efficiently when the heat is kept in it. The hot gasses flow easier/less restriction then cold dense air.

Back