2004 hayabusa questions/plans

Lockdown_Busa

Registered
Hello I’m 20yo I’ve been stocking the forums for awhile but decided to make a post as I have been trying to plan out my build with my 2004 hayabusa I bought 5-6 months ago and was just hoping for some input from some busa veterans. I originally had a goal of doing some bolt ons/light motor work like the dual intake cams and all other little neat things I’ve been reading because my motor has I believe bad seals even though I bought it at 4700miles but the goal was getting the bike to 200whp. But I’ve been talking to a friend of mine with a turbo busa and I’ve been leaning towards throwing a turbo on and cranking up the boost as I get comfortable ex. Starting 200 and turning it up. I’ve been reading the forums and seen a lot of different ways to go but I’ve been thinking of buying a separate motor and building so I can ride and not rush building the motor my goal is for it to be reliable at around 300whp for when I’m ready. I’m pretty set on getting the rcc stage 1 kit as I heard its worth the money. The only part I’m having hard time on is the parts for the motor I’ve never built a motor so I know it will be a bit hard but not impossible. I know it can be a money pit so was hoping for nothing to crazy but reliable. Also any other advice before I dive into this learning process Thanks!

823C3BAD-83FB-4033-816E-67AF3AAF551E.jpeg

Welcome....:welcome:

20yrs old eh?

First thing I'd do if I were you is thank my blessings I could afford the insurance on that thing....

Secondly, I'd ride it the way it is and get really used to it before going nuts on power adders...

Others will chime in but as you've mentioned, you've read the posts and know what to expect, it can be a fun adventure to turbo and/or build the engine to the level you are speaking of

Welcome....:welcome:

20yrs old eh?

First thing I'd do if I were you is thank my blessings I could afford the insurance on that thing....

Secondly, I'd ride it the way it is and get really used to it before going nuts on power adders...

Others will chime in but as you've mentioned, you've read the posts and know what to expect, it can be a fun adventure to turbo and/or build the engine to the level you are speaking of
Thanks, yeah it’s going to take me while to actually get a turbo on this thing since I want to do it on my own. I’ve been doing little things for now like simple bolt ons/tune and I’m stretching and going -1/+2

200 hp is easy with very few mods to motor etc when going turbo. that being said, if you are looking towards 300 hp eventually, thats a whole different ball of wax. to get to 300 you will need a built motor aka connecting rods, turbo pistons, some head work, clutch work, and studs etc. 2 totally different animals. Mine makes 270-300 hp with a decent amount of motor work and basically a stage 1. I am a beginner to turbo bikes so more experienced folk will chime in.

You should Really learn to ride it at stock height before you stretch and lower it.
Set the suspension sag.
Make sure the chain slack is correct, too loose, yep, it'll come off. Too tight, is excessive wear and limits rear shock travel. Front and rear suspension directly effect one another.
Make sure you have good brakes.
Make sure you have good tires, and check the psi before you ride it.
Do you have previous riding experience?
Either way, practice emergency braking.
Watch your mirrors when stopped, and ride like you're invisible.
See if it has the small or large airbox mod.
Get the ecu flashed.
Get full gear if you don't have it already, dress for the crash.
and
Welcome to the org

You should Really learn to ride it at stock height before you stretch and lower it.
Set the suspension sag.
Make sure the chain slack is correct, too loose, yep, it'll come off. Too tight, is excessive wear and limits rear shock travel. Front and rear suspension directly effect one another.
Make sure you have good brakes.
Make sure you have good tires, and check the psi before you ride it.
Do you have previous riding experience?
Either way, practice emergency braking.
Watch your mirrors when stopped, and ride like you're invisible.
See if it has the small or large airbox mod.
Get the ecu flashed.
Get full gear if you don't have it already, dress for the crash.
and
Welcome to the org
I bought the bike it was all stock expect the rear tail lights and Vance and Hines slip ons, I’ve done little stuff air filter oil change etc I put brocks front triple tree and lowered it 1inch. I got a base pull on it as well 158whp. I just sent the ecu to get unlocked by schnitz racing. I bought the bike at 4700miles I’m at 10300miles now. I have a road glide and unfortunately I just got in an accident on my blackbird someone turned into me. Luckily just a broken pinkey but I’m dying to get back on. I have new brake pads/sprockets/chain to install once I heal. Im going to set the suspension to.

C8E3A55B-CA15-4E20-BDAE-BFCDC7CCB24C.jpeg

9168EF6E-22DD-4F23-9FE7-622C1F8F0086.jpeg

200 hp is easy with very few mods to motor etc when going turbo. that being said, if you are looking towards 300 hp eventually, thats a whole different ball of wax. to get to 300 you will need a built motor aka connecting rods, turbo pistons, some head work, clutch work, and studs etc. 2 totally different animals. Mine makes 270-300 hp with a decent amount of motor work and basically a stage 1. I am a beginner to turbo bikes so more experienced folk will chime in.
That’s awesome I’ll probably look into your build cause sounds like what I’m aiming for in the future. But I’m definitely not ready for that yet. The only delay for me is do I build the motor to handle 300hp but get it tuned to that 200-250 range that I want.

That’s awesome I’ll probably look into your build cause sounds like what I’m aiming for in the future. But I’m definitely not ready for that yet. The only delay for me is do I build the motor to handle 300hp but get it tuned to that 200-250 range that I want.
If my build is what you are looking toward then the following:

1. wosner turbo pistons
2 corilo connecting rods
3 port polish flow heads
4 heavy duty valve springs
5 ape studs upper and lower
6 rcc stage 1 turbo kit
7 heavy duty clutch spring ( i suggest a new clutch)
8 pick tuner/builder
9 someone who can tune through the ecu
10 power commander for any additional needs
11 pick fuel, i run prem pump gas because i didnt want to deal with e85
12 fuel pump
13 timing chain set with gears and new tentioner

i am sure i am missing items, but you get the jist of it. expect to spend 12-15k on the build if you have someone do it for you. if your a wrencher you can cut about 4k to 5k off. Also expect and be ready for the extra maintenance requirements if yoou ride it hard always. more oil changes, filter changes, brake changes, etc. Oh and tires lol lotsa rear tires.

Ride the bike for a year. Get used to it. Learn it’s little issues. Get used to the weight. Get used to the bike.

I used to be the one to say oh do it yourself etc. here is my advice from someone who has built his own 1397 (some help) and bought one built.

Building your own is fun for a while. Until something goes wrong and you’re waiting for parts or some other issue. Then it just sits there all summer while everyone else is riding. You miss entire seasons.

Buying someone else’s build usually means compromises and questions. How well is it built. Who built it. Did they cut corners. Also you then need some deeeeeep pockets. I dropped over $10k getting my turbo bike running right. I still want another $10k in parts. It adds up fast.

So here is my recommendation. Go online to Lees, or Carpenter or whoever you like. Bring them the bike. Give them money. Drive home with your bike later. Smile.

For the power you want to make get a 1441 package. You’ll make that power and you’ll be faster than a turbo at that power. But learn the bike first. Every bike is different.

Do some reading, my memory is toast, but I remember the Gen 1 didn’t require work for 300 RWHP down. Turbo pistons for turbo. No one mentioned the output shaft or having 2nd gear back cut. Not an expert, read, and listen to the experts. And I agree with riding the bike as is for a season. You’ll want to upgrade the front brakes. These bikes stock get up a lot quicker than they slow down. The rear brake is hazardous IMHO, I never touch it in an emergency

Ride the bike for a year. Get used to it. Learn it’s little issues. Get used to the weight. Get used to the bike.

I used to be the one to say oh do it yourself etc. here is my advice from someone who has built his own 1397 (some help) and bought one built.

Building your own is fun for a while. Until something goes wrong and you’re waiting for parts or some other issue. Then it just sits there all summer while everyone else is riding. You miss entire seasons.

Buying someone else’s build usually means compromises and questions. How well is it built. Who built it. Did they cut corners. Also you then need some deeeeeep pockets. I dropped over $10k getting my turbo bike running right. I still want another $10k in parts. It adds up fast.

So here is my recommendation. Go online to Lees, or Carpenter or whoever you like. Bring them the bike. Give them money. Drive home with your bike later. Smile.

For the power you want to make get a 1441 package. You’ll make that power and you’ll be faster than a turbo at that power. But learn the bike first. Every bike is different.
That’s another idea I’ve been thinking of im still young so i’m hoping for more busa through out my life. So getting my first one built shouldn’t be the end of the world.

Hello I’m 20yo I’ve been stocking the forums for awhile but decided to make a post as I have been trying to plan out my build with my 2004 hayabusa I bought 5-6 months ago and was just hoping for some input from some busa veterans. I originally had a goal of doing some bolt ons/light motor work like the dual intake cams and all other little neat things I’ve been reading because my motor has I believe bad seals even though I bought it at 4700miles but the goal was getting the bike to 200whp. But I’ve been talking to a friend of mine with a turbo busa and I’ve been leaning towards throwing a turbo on and cranking up the boost as I get comfortable ex. Starting 200 and turning it up. I’ve been reading the forums and seen a lot of different ways to go but I’ve been thinking of buying a separate motor and building so I can ride and not rush building the motor my goal is for it to be reliable at around 300whp for when I’m ready. I’m pretty set on getting the rcc stage 1 kit as I heard its worth the money. The only part I’m having hard time on is the parts for the motor I’ve never built a motor so I know it will be a bit hard but not impossible. I know it can be a money pit so was hoping for nothing to crazy but reliable. Also any other advice before I dive into this learning process Thanks!

View attachment 1661578
I still favor the timeless Gen 1 styling for its uncluttered and smooth design when I see a nice example like this one. Its hard to go wrong with red and black.

It looks like Macys is the place to let the horses out to play.

It sounds like you have riding experience and just remember its not if you are going to fall, it is only a matter of time before you do. It may not even be your fault if it happens because even a simple anti freeze spill could put you down if you didn't see it or notice it in time to avoid it.

Good luck with the build... if you choose to do any 1/4 mile stuff let us know how it goes.
I want to take my 02 / 05 hybrid to the track at least once this year and find out how slow I am! lol !

Last edited:

I was thinking about the turn key packages anyone know if there’s a place that does this near/in California?

Back