Possible new owner

Cyclingbenjy

Registered
Hello all,
I’ve been looking at getting a hayabusa here in the UK
I’ve got a decent budget in mind but I’m confused about what I should be looking for in a used bike
Could someone please help me out?
What Year would you recommend?
Anything I should look out for ?
Mileage high or low?
I have spotted one that’s a 2004, been dry stored for over 10 years with 9000 miles.
would you recvommend it completely checked over by a mechanic ?
Thanks in advance
Lou

Use and condition are far and away the two most important factors in my opinion. I would much rather have a high mileage bike that has been well maintained over a low mileage bike that has been used and abused.

Thankyou, that’s great.
So lots of paperwork and condition are the best indicators for a used bike.
How high would you say is high mileage?
Sorry for all the questions, everyday I’m learning

I picked up a 2003 with 30,000 miles on the clock and I would not consider that high mileage. The guy I bought it from picked it up used 1 year off the lot with about 1000 miles on the clock and used it as a touring bike. Best I can say is talk to the seller and get a feel for them and look the bike over as close as you can. Lots of honest folks out there but lots of con artists as well. The thing that sold me was that he had all the original parts that he took off the bike (not the mufflers) as he made changes and they came with the sale. It just showed an attention to detail that I liked.

Ok, so it's been stored for 10 years, you need to thoroughly check over the fuel system . . . when you say 'dry' stored, do you mean no fuel, no oil, no coolant? Or just stored in a dry garage?
Also tyre replacement is a must, and going over the brakes too, as the caliper pistons may be seized/rusted, honestly, a bike stored for that period of time really needs a lot of work and replacement parts to really get it road worthy and reliable.
My 1999 Busa has 72,000 miles and is running perfectly, but bear in mind, it has been thoroughly gone over and all chassis components (bearings, suspension, brakes etc etc) have been replaced recently. It is a great bike, as good as the day it was first used as far as the chassis goes, the engine is loose and revs freely, 167 rwhp on the dyno!
The gearbox is good, clutch is good, it has been ridden but never thrashed.
Good luck in your search for a great Busa, if you do decide to get the one you spoke of, be sure to get it for a bargain price . . it will need a lot of work.

Like all the others have mentioned, you are better off to find a bike that is currently on the road, many surprises await a long term stored bike especially if you didn't store it.

In my search I found I wanted a Gen 2 if for nothing else to get the latest rendition of a Hayabusa I could get.

As brakes have always been the first thing that is complained about, perhaps seek out a '12 and above to get Brembos.

Fantastic advice, Thankyou both
Wow! 72000 miles is amazing !
Now the 15-20000 miles seem really good value.
Following what you’ve said there are a vast number of bikes I can consider now low mileage

Personally I think the dry stored bike may be worth a look and price check. Yes it will need to be gone over and through, but the engine should be fine. Some cleaning, new fluids, and tires, and a check up she will be right back on the road. But also consider paint and seats, I hope it was covered, but still worth a look. You can always pass on it. Question is why has it been stored for that long? Those year bikes in the Gen 1 has a second gear issue in the tranny. Make sure it doesnt need to be repaired.

Regarding mileage, keep in mind that the way those miles were put on is important as well. My 2000 has about 14k on the clock, but they are mostly drag race miles: wide open throttle, hard shifting, nitrous and turbo miles. As stated above, the best thing to do is get a feel from the owner. If anything feels wrong, walk away. Be patient, there are plenty of bikes out there, no need to be hasty in choosing one that isn't right. That being said, when you find the right one, don't be afraid to pull the trigger. Know what mods and price point you need to be at, know what features and benefits you want, and when the right deal presents itself (and it will, trust us) take it home.

Thanks so much for all the advice, I’ve got loads to go on now, not rushing into it for sure, I did that with my Daytona and after an hour I couldn’t sit on it any longer with bad wrist pain.
CheckI got a few out this weekend and hoping to get a test ride somewhere

Would you guys go for generation 1 or 2 ?
Depends on your purpose and future plans. Stock for stock, the Gen 2 is a better bike. More power, less problems. Same for bolt-on performance, Gen 2 is a better bike still. Until you get into heavily modded bikes, the Gen 2 is a better bike. Gen 1 is likely to be cheaper, both from a purchase price and in terms of insurance and registration. Either are very capable platforms and can make more power than anyone ever needs in a streetbike very easily. The visuals are purely a matter of taste, so it comes down to money. Only you know what your intended use is, to get the most bike for your pound know what mods you want and what they cost. In other words, if you know for instance that you want touring capability, and you find a used one with hard bags that would be to your advantage, where a bike that's been lowered and has a longer swingarm fitted does you no good. Make sense?

Depends on your purpose and future plans. Stock for stock, the Gen 2 is a better bike. More power, less problems. Same for bolt-on performance, Gen 2 is a better bike still. Until you get into heavily modded bikes, the Gen 2 is a better bike. Gen 1 is likely to be cheaper, both from a purchase price and in terms of insurance and registration. Either are very capable platforms and can make more power than anyone ever needs in a streetbike very easily. The visuals are purely a matter of taste, so it comes down to money. Only you know what your intended use is, to get the most bike for your pound know what mods you want and what they cost. In other words, if you know for instance that you want touring capability, and you find a used one with hard bags that would be to your advantage, where a bike that's been lowered and has a longer swingarm fitted does you no good. Make sense?

Very reasoned and well thought out response. Short answer...2nd gen :D

Back