200 to 180

metric03

Registered
The time for new tires is fast aproaching and I was wondering if anyone has done this change, i currently have pirreli corsa's with a 200 rear, i have hear good reviews about 180 series rear tires for cornering and was looking at pilot road 2's. does this sound like a wise desision or should i stick with the 190?

sorry if this seems like a repost, if there is a thread about this somewhere feel free to send the link.

Go with a 190/55 instead of 190/50. It has the more rounded profile of the 180/55, but in 'busa size. It's a little taller and you may notice the steering will be a little quicker. The profile should have a larger contact patch when leaned over which is one of the main arguments for using a 180/55. It's supposed to be a little more linear when falling into the curve too, which could be smoother. Only a few tires have sizes of 190/55 and 190/50 though.

thanks for that info, i was wondering what the difference in sidewall length would do to the corning, that helps.
thumb_up.gif

Go with a 190/55 instead of 190/50. It has the more rounded profile of the 180/55, but in 'busa size. It's a little taller and you may notice the steering will be a little quicker. The profile should have a larger contact patch when leaned over which is one of the main arguments for using a 180/55. It's supposed to be a little more linear when falling into the curve too, which could be smoother. Only a few tires have sizes of 190/55 and 190/50 though.
bike damn near turns it self

Go with a 190/55 instead of 190/50.  It has the more rounded profile of the 180/55, but in 'busa size. It's a little taller and you may notice the steering will be a little quicker.  The profile should have a larger contact patch when leaned over which is one of the main arguments for using a 180/55.  It's supposed to be a little more linear when falling into the curve too, which could be smoother. Only a few tires have sizes of 190/55 and 190/50 though.
bike damn near turns it self
when i made the change to a 190/55 on my bmw k1200r i about dumped the bike in the parking lot of my work because it turned in so good.  

okay okay.....maybe a bit of an exageration but yes turns much better.

p.s. it will raise the rear slightly and give some of the advantage of the +1" raising the rear mod.

The 190/55 raises the rear slightly and does sharpen the tip in. The 55 has a larger circumference which gives you slightly taller gearing making your scooter loose a little of it's grunt.

Personally, I prefer the 190/50 series. Unless you hit the track you probably won't notice the difference in rear tire size. Any of the tire sizes mentioned will do you a good job.

Back