180 rear tire??

SignalChimp

Registered
Anyone running a 180 rear tire? If so what's your feeling compaired to the stock 190? Would you put another one on when it is time to change it or would you go back to a 190 or even the 200? Time for a new rear was thinking about the diablo strada (sport touring tire) They dont make it in 190 yet according to the local shop.Living in florida there are plenty of strait roads so the center goes way before the sidewalls.But i guess the strada is supposed to be plenty stickey on the sides with a harder center so would probably work ok for my riding.Thanks for any feedback guy's.

keith

If you like cornering the 180 is the way to go. I ran one before and loved the way the bike cornered.

I run 180.Perfect fro drag racing,and i like the way it feels in the curves.No more 190's for me.

My kid traded in his FZ1 and he had a bt020 180 tire left over. I put it on and I have no chickenstrips left it really does handle better.

Notice any difference in strait line high speed stability? I know it's rock solid at speed with the 190 dont want to loose that solid feel in the straits.

keith

the 180's I had on did not feel as planted as the 190, up at highest speeds. seemed a little bouncier and perhaps not as 'heavy' feeling. hard to describe, but I DO prefer 190 at higher speeds 160+. I first I thought it was all in my head, but after going back and forth a few times, I can tell the difference. however it is just barely noticeable and never felt UNSAFE... just not as 'planted'. turns GREAT though! if I HAD to pick one or the other, personally I go 190 cuz I like the high speed stuff

matter of fact I have the Diablo Strada 180 on right now. yep - no 190 for that so I was stuck with 180
biggrin.gif
I guess milage is good... I went to Arizona and back from Iowa and not much flat spot 3500+ miles, but I didn't do tons of 'spirited' riding. I got to about 160 a few times but with all the baggage strapped on, it was no fun wind-wise so I didn't take it higher. tire feels good and takes bumps well, seems plenty sticky - I did a track day on it couple weeks ago and after my initial paranoia went away, it felt as good as teh regular diablos I usually use. The ONE THING I noticed about the Strada [and maybe this is ANY touring tire, I don't know] is with the softer ride and deeper tread it can warm up and feel kind squirrelly, almost gooey at low speed like 25-35. after being on it for 12 hours, I got to denver and I could have SWORE my rear tire was FLAT the way it felt. I pulled over and checked it and it was at 45psi - up from 40-41 where it started, and was perfectly fine. I thing the flex/skew from deeper tread AND a not so tight bump absorbing carcuss made me feel that. it's sticky seems as good as anything, rarely spins on hard take offs [I run 35ish psi usually] and much lower heatup needs than the Dunslops or those crappy, icey HPX tires. I can't judge their milage really since I haven't ridden 'normally' on them, but they did thier 'road' tire job wonderfully. I doubt I'll get them again. I just prefer a tighter, sportier feel tire. I'd get them for another long trip though. personal preferences here
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1131202061 -->

the 180's I had on did not feel as planted as the 190, up at highest speeds.  seemed a little bouncier and perhaps not as 'heavy' feeling.  hard to describe, but I DO prefer 190 at higher speeds 160+.  I first I thought it was all in my head, but after going back and forth a few times, I can tell the difference. however it is just barely noticeable and never felt UNSAFE... just not as 'planted'.  turns GREAT though!  if I HAD to pick one or the other, personally I go 190 cuz I like the high speed stuff

matter of fact I have the Diablo Strada 180 on right now.  yep - no 190 for that so I was stuck with 180  
biggrin.gif
   I guess milage is good... I went to Arizona and back from Iowa and not much flat spot 3500+ miles, but I didn't do tons of 'spirited' riding.  I got to about 160 a few times but with all the baggage strapped on, it was no fun wind-wise so I didn't take it higher.  tire feels good and takes bumps well, seems plenty sticky - I did a track day on it couple weeks ago and after my initial paranoia went away, it felt as good as teh regular diablos I usually use.  The ONE THING I noticed about the Strada [and maybe this is ANY touring tire, I don't know] is with the softer ride and deeper tread it can warm up and feel kind squirrelly, almost gooey at low speed like 25-35.  after being on it for 12 hours, I got to denver and I could have SWORE my rear tire was FLAT the way it felt.  I pulled over and checked it and it was at 45psi - up from 40-41 where it started, and was perfectly fine.  I thing the flex/skew from deeper tread AND a not so tight bump absorbing carcuss made me feel that.  it's sticky seems as good as anything, rarely spins on hard take offs [I run 35ish psi usually] and much lower heatup needs than the Dunslops or those crappy, icey HPX tires.  I can't judge their milage really since I haven't ridden 'normally' on them, but they did thier 'road' tire job wonderfully.  I doubt I'll get them again.  I just prefer a tighter, sportier feel tire.  I'd get them for another long trip though.  personal preferences here  
smile.gif
Thanks man great info.Think i will stick with the 190 diablo this time and next one when i am ready for the long road trip i will try the strada.Maybe by that time they will make a 190.Thanks again.

keith

My 180 feels fine at high speeds.I am on a track at least once a week and do plenty of high speed riding in between.Right over 150 in the 1/4 and feels no different than when i ran the 190's.On the street,what ever 6th gear on the rev limiter with 17/43 feels fine also.Like i said,i personally won't ever go back to a 190,but to each there on.I guess it really depends on what you want.

Best thing to do is just buy a race take off (road race tire).You can buy a 180/55 for about 45 shipped.Put it on and see how you like it.The take off's will usally be basically brand new in the center,and do perfect for street and some drag strip time.

i don't want to steal the spotlight, but does anyone recommend a 200 rear tire? i'd like a fatter azz but do not want to sacrifice the bikes performance for better twisties. i want to make sure it is practical for commuting as well.
rock.gif

I have 180's on all of my bikes, 01 busa, 05 zx-10r, and 91 851 ducati (Pilot Powers) will never go back. Hope this helps.

I'd like to hear another guy's opinion of the Strada after you been on it a while

My opinion is The Dunlop 208zr size 200 Corners just as good as a 190 ask the folks at the dragon who was trying to keep up with me .. I've got right at 3000 miles on it and just now in the wear indicators..You can get it for about 145 to 160 depending on where you go..

DSC02019.JPG

I dropped to a 180 because most of the people i ride with have liter bikes and we all love the twistys. I saw a big difference dropping to a 180 Pilot (actually alternate between the Diablo and pilots who ever is cheeper at the time Both feel the same to me) I had to beat my ego up a bit i didn't want a small tire...lol but it does handle better in the twisties IMHO

My opinion is The Dunlop 208zr size 200 Corners just as good as a 190 ask the folks at the dragon who was trying to keep up with me .. I've got right at 3000 miles on it and just now in the wear indicators..You can get it for about 145 to 160 depending on where you go..
thanks bro! i wasn't sure if the 200 rear would be too excesive.
40__s.gif

Back