2 clear coat questions...

jeremy_283

Registered
FIRST: I was doing a touch up and got a little too much clear coat on the surface and was like darn and grabbed a rag super quick and tried to wipe it off... stupid me... i used a rag and i recently acquired turtle wax orbital buffer and i though maybe i could wipe it off by using that with a new cotton buffing bonnet with no compound... didn't work but the surface got kind of warm... is there a chance that I did any damage to the factory clear coat?

SECOND: How do I polish up the final touch up and eliminate the very light unpolished wipe marks i made by wiping wet clear coat with a rag?

Last edited:
What part of the bike is it on? Before you polish the marks from the rag try using some 600 then 800 grit sand paper prior to buffing. You can damage clear coat by getting the finish to hot from friction. Warm is ok. Use a compound and work the problem area and when your near finished...start working an area slightly bigger to blend it in. It can be a pain and since it is your bike you will look at it and likley notice it each time you get on. If it is a run / drip from the clear you could also try taking a razor blade...keeping it 90 degrees to the panel surface and drag it on the run. It slowly shaves it down...it is tempting to cut it by being aggressive with the blade edge but at some point you dig way to deep getting into the color coat or primer...shaving it is slow but safe.

heavy is correct you cannot use base alone it would looklike it was satin and would wipe off everytime you touched it

to protect the grafics i clear coated them, any little scratch can be buffed out if needed, check joselo's project:thumbsup:

Back