1st time wearing earplugs (wow).. I ride faster now

I just heard about how nice plugs are today... I will try them when I do my next long ride :thumbsup:

I get the marshmallow style earplugs from work by the handfuls. The only thing they block out is the wind noise, everything else is crystal clear and much more noticeable without the wind howl.
I never ride without 'em.

I have been riding with ear plugs for 27 years now. When I was 16 I found myself having trouble staying awake on long rides. An older rider that I rode with at the time told me to try ear plugs and see if it helped. Not only did it help, I noticed that it made it a lot easier to stay focused on riding, and it paid huge dividends at the track and on my dirt bike. I'm not sure if I could ride very long without them at this point. As far as being able to hear goes, I figure if I can have ear plugs in, by helmet on and still hear people on the phone it must not be too bad.

Some guys are against them (for safety reasons), & some states don't even allow them. My state has no restrictions against them. I ride with them, & with music all the time. You are right, that makes the ride more peaceful. Just me and the Busa, the Road, & my favorite tunes.

There's nothing like it; I love it :thumbsup:

Not sure which states don't allow "hearing protection", but they are perfectly legal here in California. Headphones are not legal, but "hearing protection" is. :poke:

I used to be a "music on" guy, but gave it up the day I put my first set of foamies in. Won't ride without them now! :cheerleader:

Ok guys, pretend your on a BKing. Ride so that your head/helmet is 2 feet above the wind screen. This should give you a full blast of air right in the face. You will be suprised how much louder it gets even with plugs! I guess I could lean down over the tank and see if the Spitfire wind screen shoots the air over my head. I will try it next time out. But I will look like a dork laying down like that on a King. Everyone will think I'm trying to be a speed racer! I will report my findings.....

Guys who don't wear plugs haven't considered the long term effects of bike engine and wind noise...look up the word tinnitus. It is no joke man. People who are around harsh noise for many years develop it. It is very unpleasant and there isn't a thing the doctor can do for you. It is a ringing sound in your ear that you perceive to be there but there is no external object making it. Many guys who work around loud equipment, guns, and race equipment guys can all attest to it's damaging effects to one's psyche. Try going to sleep while you perceive someone is laying right next to you whistling and you might begin to understand how much fun that would be. Protect your ears...u nay sayers have been forewarned...:whistle:

I wear Shure Ear buds for music but the benfit is there also noise isolationed. So they cut out alot of outsound noise, including wind.

2hip,
Tinnitus "sufferer" here....played with firecrackers (and many more things that go BOOM) as a kid and had no clue I had hearing loss until I joined the Navy. Heck, I was so used to the "constant ringing in my ears" that it became "normal" for me.

Did not appreciate "hearing conservation" until I became a Corpsman (medic) in the Navy and I immediately took any and all precautions to salvage whatever hearing I still had.

I get mine from work also, 3M foam type with NDR of 33. I've always worked in factories, manufactoring places, I used to hate wearing them. But the older I got the more sense it made.
Thats interesting what "Bandit" said about staying awake on long rides, cause I've had that problem too. Most of my rides are short these days, but that is something to keep in mind for next time.

and now the question: christmas tree, foamies or custom?

PPE1178-1.jpg
1325802080.jpg

PCL_SW-II.png

so far i've only used the foam kind, but would love to get some custom made ones in the future .

I just bought a pair of the foamies. I was all excited to try them out and then I put my helmet on.....Aaaaaaaarrrgh!

Can anyone recommend something that blocks noise and sounds good?

I've been using plugs so long, I can't even ride without them anymore. The noise just kills me.

+1 here. Went up to get lunch the other day from work 4 blocks away. Figured I just throw the helmet on and go. It made me realize how much I love them. I feel more in tune with what the bike is doing.

I have always used plugs and I have never tried ear buds just because I dont care to listen to music while I ride (its distracting for me). However, I bought a SENA smh-10 bluethooth a while back (mainly for cell phone access) and I tried it right after I got it without any plugs and it about drove me nutz because of the turbulence and exhaust drone that I had not been hearing previously. I was ready to give it away and then I decided to try using it with my plugs in.

I can actually hear someone on the other end of the phone or music (if I choose) better with the ear plugs in then without them. I guess the plugs are just helping block out certain frequencies but I can hear whatever sound is coming throught the speakers on the SENA perfectly with the plugs in. I honestly don't know how guys ride all the time at any speed above 50MPH without ear plugs.

Back